By Lucas Barlow
Sports Editor

Community colleges around the country can be considered an important stepping stone to many athletes.

Whether it’s the low tuition costs, the chance to develop yourself academically, or the ability to improve yourself physically, schools like Hutchinson Community College can help these athletes kickstart their collegiate sports career.

After receiving zero NCAA Division 1 offers, defensive back Storey Jackson chose HutchCC to begin his football journey. The Olathe North product led his team to a 10-2 record and a Kansas 6A semifinal appearance in 2015.

Upon arriving at Hutchinson for his freshman year in 2016, Jackson knew he would get a opportunity to earn a starting position the next season, so he decided to find his role on the special teams.

“My first year was so exciting,” Jackson said. “I knew my chance to get a starting role would come next year, so I balled out on special teams.”

He was added to the kickoff, punt and punt return teams. As a freshman, Jackson had to work hard everyday and impress the coaches, all to make a name for himself.

As he began his sophomore season, Jackson accomplished what he set out to do – earn a starting spot.

“I did such a good job as a freshman on the special team units,” Jackson said, “eventually it got me a starting spot on the defense.”

Jackson has turned into a key player for the Blue Dragon defense as he currently leads the team in tackles (61) and assists (36) through nine games for the 6-3 Blue Dragons.

“My sophomore season has being going great so far,” Jackson said. “I’m blessed to be able to impact the team with my skills.”

Jackson also stated he has an offer from Bethune-Cookman University. More offers could also be on the way for the talented defensive back.

Jackson’s time as a Blue Dragon is coming to an end with only two regular season games left and possibly the Salt City Bowl. However, he does want to give a little advice to any newcomers next year.

“Be sure you make or keep a relationship with God,” Jackson said. “Junior college isn’t easy and it’s not for everybody, but with consistent hard work, you can make it successful.”