By Bailey Terry

HCC Sports Information - Kirea Rogers, Wichita, drives to the basket past a defender during the semifinal game of the Region VI tournament in Park City on March 2.

The Blue Dragon women’s basketball team played Seward County in the semifinals of the Region VI tournament on March 2.

Hutch lost the game 72-65 against a tough Seward opponent.

The Dragon’s record is now 29-4.

Two Hutch players scored 17 points in the semifinal game: They were Taylor Stahly, Newton, and Kirea Rogers, Wichita.

Amazingly, 15 of Stahly’s points were threes.

She also became the second Dragon player in history to reach 100 three-pointers in a season.

Overall, the Dragons were barely out-rebounded, 26-27.

The Dragons enjoyed a 20-9 lead with two minutes left in the first quarter.

At the end of the first quarter, the Dragons held the lead 20-13.

In the second quarter, Seward was able to catch up and tie the game at 24 with six minutes to play in the half.

The score was tied at 28 until the Dragons went on an 8-0 run to take the lead, 36-28.

At halftime, the Dragons were ahead, 38-33.

Seward, hit two back-to-back three-pointers to open the third quarter.

Hutch’s lead was cut to 42-41 with seven minutes left in the third.

Seward took the lead, 51-50 to end the quarter.

The Dragons were able to tie the game at 55 with six minutes to play in the final quarter.

Seward then went on an 11-2 run to take the lead, 66-57 with just three minutes left.

Hutch was able to cut the lead to six two times, with threes from Stahly, but weren’t able to come out with the win.

The Dragons lost the game 72-65.

The Dragons had advanced to the semifinals for the eighth straight season after a win against Independence in Park City on March 1.

Hutch won the game, 67-63.

The leading scorer for Hutch was Inja Butina, Zagreb, Croatia, with 26 points.

Behind Butina was Rogers, with 16 points, 12 rebounds, three blocks, and two steals.

Hutch is awaiting results following all of the district tournaments to see if they have been selected for one of four at-large spots, so they would still compete in the NJCAA tournament.