By Bailey Terry

HCC Sports Information - Keanu Pinder, Perth, Australia, shoots the ball over two defenders during the semifinal game.

The Blue Dragon men’s basketball team obtained the No. 1 seed in the Region VI tournament, so they had a bye in the first round of the tournament.

After beating Garden City, the Dragons played Cowley in Park City in the semifinals of the Region VI tournament on March 2 and won 91-87.

Hutch’s record is now 29-3.

The leading scorer for the Dragons was Samajae Haynes-Jones, Wichita, with 26 points.

Behind Haynes-Jones was Shakur Juiston with 16 points.

Hutch was barely out-rebounded, 50-51.

The Dragons built an early lead and their lead continued to grow.

Hutch took their first run minutes into the game to build their lead to 27-9.

During their 15-0 lead, the Dragons held their opponents scoreless for seven minutes.

With four minutes left in the first half, the Dragons held the lead 38-18.

Cowley then went on an 11-3 run to cut down the Hutch lead, 43-34 to end the first half.

As the final half began, Cowley hit a few three-pointers to completely erase the Dragon’s lead.

HCC Sports Information - Bashir Ahmed, Bronx, New York, shoots past a defender to later score a basket during the semifinal game against Cowley on March 2.

The score was 47-49 with the Dragons behind by two.

Hutch came back to take the lead with 10 minutes remaining in the second half, 61-56.

The Dragons were ahead with 20 seconds remaining, until Cowley hit a three to tie the game at 76 to take the game into overtime.

Throughout the overtime period, there were three ties and two lead changes.

After the overtime clock expired, the Dragons held the two-possession lead, 91-87.

Hutch advanced onto the championship game of the Region VI tournament.

The Dragons played in the quarterfinals in Park City at the Hartman Arena and played against the No. 8 Garden City Broncbusters on Feb. 28 and won 77-71.

The leading scorer for the Dragons was Haynes-Jones with 23 points.

Haynes-Jones shot 82% for the night.

Behind him was Bashir Ahmed, Bronx, New York, who had a double-double with 17 points and 10 rebounds.

Overall, the Dragons outrebounded their opponents 49-42.

There were six lead changes and four ties in the quarterfinal thriller as Hutch advanced to the semifinals with a win over Garden City, 77-71.

The Dragons are scheduled to play Neosho County in the championship game of the Region VI tournament in Park City on Thursday, March 3.

The game kicks off at 7 p.m.