By Taryn Gillespie

The little red heart located in the corner of your driver’s license could mean so much more than you think.

Organ donation is a choice many make standing in the line at the DMV waiting to get their driver’s license when it is something that should be thought through and maybe discussed with loved ones.

Becoming an organ donor is a very personal choice. When you die do you want those parts of your body to be used to help save another life, or would you prefer to keep your organs intact when being buried or cremated?

One person could save the lives of up to eight people just by donating their organs. Over 100,000 people in the U.S. are waiting for an organ donation.

Organ donation has been surrounded with many myths for a long time including:

Myth: If I agree to donate my organs, the hospital staff won’t work as hard to save my life.

This is simply untrue. When you go into the hospital to be worked on the doctors are focused on your health first. If after their efforts are unsuccessful then they look to see if you are an organ donor and if your organs could help save any lives.

Myth: An open-casket funeral isn’t an option for people who have donated organs or tissues.

Organ and tissue donation doesn’t interfere with having an open-casket funeral. The donor’s body is clothed for burial, so there are no visible signs of organ or tissue donation.

Making the decision to become an organ donor can be a scary thing but it could be a choice that saves many lives in the future.