By Shelby Horton

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump scanned the audience at his rally in Wichita, at the Century II Performing Arts and Convention Center on March 5.

He smiled charmingly at the crowd, until his eyes met with a small group of TV cameramen and reporters sitting in the center.

His expression turned to one of disgust, as if he was looking at a swarm of annoying insects.

He raised his arm and pointed at the small group, as they videoed his campaign rally.

“The dishonest press, the most dishonest people in the world,” he said. “These are really dishonest people.”

Trump is known for attacking the press and telling his audiences that the media “lies” and are against them.

Throughout his speech, Trump told his audience the news media had unfairly edited his speeches to make it sound as if he used foul language, avoided showing the magnitude of his crowds, and will only point cameras at the crowd if a protester makes a scene.

“This convention hall is packed.. but they (the press) won’t show it, unless there’s a protester in the room, because that’s suppose to be a bad thing. They won’t touch the cameras.”

He apparently didn’t know that KWCH-TV, in live coverage, showed extensive views of the crowd before he arrived.

“I like my face, but I’d much rather they showed the crowd,” Trump said.

Some reporters and photographers muttered their displeasure at being insulted and described as villains.

Under his breath, one TV cameraman called Trump a “f—ing idiot.”

When news personnel had first entered the convention center, they had to pass two security checks.

First, a metal detector, while security people searched their personal belongings. In the next check, camera bags were set on the floor and opened to allow a police dog to sniff for any dangerous items.

After passing the security checks, press members were escorted to a boxed-off area, with two platforms for photographers to set up equipment, and tables and chairs where reporters could take notes during the speech.

Three security guards stood inside the media area — two guarding the entrance to it, while one watched the photographers.

When one reporter stepped outside of the designated area to get interviews with Trump supporters, security watched him.

Soon he was asked to go back into the fenced area and not to leave it again.

Reporters resorted to getting interviews by calling to people near the boxed area, and leaning over the fence to ask questions.

When Trump finished his talk and the crowd began to file out, they were met by a group of protesters with anti-Trump signs.

Police quickly formed a barrier to separate the media and Trump supporters from the protesters.

Photographers ducked around, trying to get pictures, while reporters tried to get interviews.

Police repeatedly warned the media to stay back and away from the protesters, while officers pushed the protesters in the other direction.

Angry arguments began about First Amendment Rights, and freedom of speech. It did no good.

Police refused to let reporters talk with the protesters on the public sidewalk.