By Branson Strasner

In recent years, there has been controversy in America over the use of vaccinations. It began with a study by former doctor Andrew Jeremy Wakefield.

Wakefield published a paper in 1998 claiming that vaccinating children causes them to develop autism.

Despite the Center for Disease Control confirming the study is false, many young parents still believe Wakefield, and have chosen not to vaccinate their children.

This is a huge problem because the dangers of diseases such as mumps, chicken pox, and meningitis vastly outweigh the nonexistent possibility of the child contracting autism.

Parents who refuse to vaccinate their children should be held responsible for any harm or disease that the child suffers from their decision.

In fact, some parents have been charged with “failing to provide the necessities of life.” A couple in Alberta, Canada lost their son to meningitis, for which he had not been vaccinated.

As of now, the couple is facing up to five years in prison.

With no proven link between autism and vaccination, there is absolutely no reason that a child should not receive a vaccination.

There is a reason that vaccinations were created: to save lives. People who actively forego the chance to save their children’s lives are simply ignorant.

Vaccines are definitely not foolproof, but they do drastically decrease the chance of infection. There are absolutely no benefits to avoiding vaccinations, unless you consider the chance at losing your child a benefit.