By Shelby Horton

“World of Tomorrow” is only a 16-minute long short animation film, yet it has caused waves in the film industry, earning it an Oscar nomination for best animated short film.

Though this animated short is simplistic in design and style, it has a message that packs a punch.

The storyline follows five year-old Emily Prime, who receives a call from her future self, 227 years in the future.

It is Emily’s third-generation clone, who explains that when Emily is old enough, she will be impregnated with a perfect clone of herself who will continue on as Emily, along with all of her memories and thoughts.

Future Emily then takes the tiny toddler on an adventure through space and time, discussing immortality, memory, consciousness, and the inevitable destruction of the planet.

This is obviously too much for a toddler to comprehend, as her future self explains how humanity has changed — for better and for worse.

Where the short film seems like a comedy with the dialogue of the monotone future Emily and the oblivious toddler, the short film feels more like a science fiction horror movie.

Future Emily shows a world where technology has surpassed humanity, and many of the future versions of ourselves have lost all emotion and the things that make us human.

However, the comedy aspect of the storytelling shines through, thanks to the monotone-voice acting of Julia Pott, who plays Future Emily.

The voice of the toddler was provided by the director’s niece while being questioned on what she thought of the world.

The animation truly helps the audience see these revelations through the mind of a child.

The stick figure art style, and simply drawn backgrounds could easily be the drawings of a child trying to remember the adventure they had.

Also, the simplistic art form helps the audience to focus on the deep and brooding conversation the two main characters are having.

“World of Tomorrow” forces the audience to think about the direction humanity is going and the risk that comes with seeking immortality and focusing so heavily upon technology.

Yet, at the same time, it offers a glimmer of hope, in a world where technology seems to be growing way too fast.