By Bailey Terry

Loribeth Reynolds/Collegian - Kirea Rogers, Wichita, drives the ball to the basket to score the ball during the Feb. 1 game against Garden City. Rogers scored 19 points for Hutch.

The Blue Dragon women’s basketball team took on Garden City in the Sports Arena on Feb. 1.

The Dragons won 77-70, which aided them in taking sole possession of the No. 1 spot in the Jayhawk West Conference.

Hutch improved their record to 22-1 overall and 12-1 in the Jayhawk West conference.

The Dragon that scored the most points was Inja Butina, Zagreb, Croatia, with a ca

Kirea Rogers, Wichita, added 19 points and eight rebounds.

The Dragons haven’t lost a game played in the Sports Arena in 131 games.

Hutch took the lead early, but the Broncbusters made three three-pointers in the first quarter keeping the score close.

The Dragons made nine of their first 14 field goals in the opening quarter.

Hutch held the lead, 23-19.

Loribeth Reynolds/Collegian -  Inja Butina, Zagreb, Croatia, stares down her oponent as she dribbles the ball in the home game against Garden City on Feb. 1. The Dragons won 77-70.
Loribeth Reynolds/Collegian - Inja Butina, Zagreb, Croatia, stares down her oponent as she dribbles the ball in the home game against Garden City on Feb. 1. The Dragons won 77-70.

Early in the second quarter, the Dragons took an 11-0 run to push the lead to 38-24 with four minutes left in the half.

Hutch held the lead at the end of the half.

The score was 43-33.

Garden City continued to challenge Hutch in the final half trying to cut their deficit, but the Dragons went on a 10-2 run.

The score was 60-45.

Minutes later, a three-point play by the Broncbusters helped them come within four points.

The score was 64-60.

After a Taylor Stahly, Newton, three-pointer and Butina free throws, the Dragons pushed their lead, 69-60 with seven minutes remaining.

With three minutes remaining, a 4-0 run by Garden City made it a one-possession game, 71-68.

In the final three minutes, the Broncbusters didn’t score, which helped the Dragons keep the lead.

Hutch won the game 77-70.

The Dragons played Barton on Jan. 30 and won 78-56.

The leading scorer was Rogers with 19 points and right behind her was Mandy Madden, Topeka, with 16.

Rogers and Madden each had nine rebounds.

Hutch out-rebounded their opponents 39-24.

The Dragons were never behind and held the lead the entire game.

The Dragons are scheduled to play Dodge City in Dodge City on Wednesday, Feb. 3.

The game tips off at 5:30 p.m.