By Bailey Terry

Loribeth Reynolds/Collegian - Akbar Hoffman, Newark, New Jersey, breaks past an opponent towards the basket during a game on Feb. 1 against the Broncbusters of Garden City. Hoffman scored a game-high of 23 points and shot 63%. Hutch won the home game 83-64.

The Blue Dragon men’s basketball team played the Garden City Broncbusters on Feb. 1 and won 83-64.

The No. 15 Dragons improved their record to 21-3 overall and 10-3 in the Jayhawk West conference.

The top two scorers for the Dragons were Akbar Hoffman, Newark, New Jersey, and Bashir Ahmed, Bronx, New York.

Hoffman had 23 points and Ahmed had 16 points.

Keanu Pinder, Perth, Australia, added 11 points, 12 rebounds, six assists, and four steals.

The Broncbusters jumped out to an early lead of 8-5, but the Dragons went on a 9-0 run with a three-point play from Pinder and back-to-back threes from Hoffman.

The score was 13-8 with 13 minutes remaining in the half.

The Dragons created a larger lead with 37-25 after nine straight points from Ahmed with two minutes left in the opening half.

Hutch held the lead at halftime with 39-28.

The Dragons held the lead 49-35, until the Broncbusters went on a 7-0 run with 13 minutes remaining in the game, 49-42.

With 10 minutes remaining, Hutch had built up their lead to 67-46 after a 12-2 run.

The Dragons held their opponents to just four made field goals in the final 10 minutes of the game.

The Dragons were never in jeopardy of losing the game.

Hutch won the game 83-64.

The Dragons took on Barton in Great Bend on Jan. 30 and won 72-64.

The leading scorer of the game was Hoffman with 20 points.

In the final 11 minutes of the game, the Dragons were trailing by nine, but overcame the hump by scoring 31 of the final 45 points.

The Dragons are scheduled to play Dodge City at their place on Feb. 3.