By Angela Lingg

HCC Sports Information - Paige Houston, Midwest City, Oklahoma, throws the 20-pound weight during the Johnson County meet on Jan. 22. Houston threw 51’8”, which broke a previous HCC record; the throw helped her win the event.

Karis Parker, Wichita, broke the HCC women’s 60-meter hurdle record for the second week in a row.

The HCC track team competed at Johnson County Community College, in Overland Park on Jan. 22.

Parker broke her own school record from the previous week with a hurdle time of 9.05 seconds.

Her time also won her the race.

Parker wasn’t the only athlete knocking down records at the meet.

Paige Houston, Midwest City, Oklahoma also broke the HCC indoor record in weight throw, with a throw of 51 feet 8 inches.

Her throw was good enough for first place.

Both Parker and Houston had already qualified for nationals.

Shaquellra Collins, Houston, Texas, ran a personal best in the 400-meter and took first with a time of 1 minute 0.86 seconds.

The men’s team saw two winning performances from Orser Rodriguez, Harlingen, Texas, and Junior Jospeh, Wichita.

Rodriguez ran the 1000-meter in 2:36 and set the Johnson County Fieldhouse record.

Joseph won the men’s weight throw with a throw of 54 feet 2 and three-fourths inches.

Second place in the men’s weight throw was HCC’s Dallas Thompson who threw a personal best of 49 feet 4 and one half inches.

The Blue Dragon’s track team did not pick up any more qualifiers for Nationals.

According to head track and field coach, Pat Becher, both teams saw improvement.

They will be back in action Friday, Jan. 29 at the Pittsburg State Invitational in Pittsburg, Kansas.