By Shelby Horton

On Dec. 5, Hutchinson Community College Theatre presents the 24 hour play festival, at the BJ Warner Recital Hall.

This play festival is a show that will have been written, directed, and rehearsed only a day before the show is to be performed in front of a live audience.

There were 24 actors, six playwrights, six technicians, and six directors will be participating in the festival. The goal is to create six 10-minute plays for a single evening.

All the plays will be written overnight by the playwrights, then the rest of participants will begin rehearsals early Saturday morning. The show will open at 7:30 that evening.

Playwrights will not know who their actors will be or how many actors they will have to write for until Friday evening when they are randomly assigned actors.

Directors will find out Saturday morning what they’ll be directing and who their actors are.

“This is a theatrical adventure and an opportunity for theatre artists of all stripes to challenge themselves artistically and show a lot of creative courage,” said Deidre Ensz-Mattox, Director of Theatre at HCC.

HCC theater program will also be collaborating with students from other school and members of the community as well as former students of HCC.

Casting will take place within the 24 hour process, just like the rest of the show.