By Amaelle Caron

I think that we live in a beautiful world. Of course, it isn’t perfect, but nothing is.

I’ve had the chance to travel a lot and I noticed that what makes us who we are, is our differences. I strongly believe that differences are what make the world what it is.

You don’t learn from the people who are or think like you. You learn from people who are your opposite. To me learning is important, because knowledge is necessary. We all have different way to see life and it is okay.

A lot of people and society tells us that we should be ourselves, but “not like that”.

Because it looks like today, if being yourself means that you are against the standards, then you should not be that way.

In my opinion, in a world with infinite possibilities, you should be yourself without caring about what people will say about you, because you can. I don’t think that anyone is better than everyone, including Hannah, my Collegian co-worker.

I think that being different defines who we are and makes us special.

Sometimes it is sad to see how we can hurt one another just because we are different.

Racism, segregation, holocaust, religious wars, or most recently fat-shaming, are words that exists only because at some point in time someone or a group of people had a problem with someone else’s differences.

Truth is that we are all human, we are all made of the same things, we all breath the same air and we all have a heart.

It doesn’t matter what religion you are, the color of your skin, the language you speak or your sexuality, because we are all the same.

I met people before who just stop talking to me once they heard I don’t have a religion. And it hurts to be rejected for being you.

A lot of many friends have a religion and I respect it, I think it is awesome.

I am just not that way, and it should be okay.

I think about all those people who can’t be who they truly are because of their belief and the society.

There are so many people who cannot come out as gay because “it is wrong” and they don’t want people to hate them, same with the transsexuals.

It is unfair, they should be proud being who they are and love whomever they want without being judge.

To me, the fact that we are all different individuals is strength more than it is a weakness.

I’m surrounded with people who don’t speak my mother tongue.

While I grew up in a very different environment, in a country across the ocean, I love being here in Kansas.

Traveling gives you the chance to meet new people who are different than you and you learn everyday, and I am so very thankful for everything.

We are all different and we are all beautiful.