By Shelby Horton

Loribeth Reynolds/Collegian - Stull cemetery, located outside of Lecompton, is beautiful this time of year. The cemetery attracts many visitors during the Halloween season because of rumors that it is haunted.  Locals say it’s not haunted at all.
Loribeth Reynolds/Collegian - Stull cemetery, located outside of Lecompton, is beautiful this time of year. The cemetery attracts many visitors during the Halloween season because of rumors that it is haunted. Locals say it’s not haunted at all.

Halloween comes around once a year, and it sparks interest in the supernatural and macabre.

Some individuals will take to the road and travel long distances to see what should never be seen.

That was the goal set by three journalists on Oct. 25th as they traveled to the infamous Stull Cemetery.

Stull Cemetery is considered one of the most haunted places in Kansas.

Legends have circulated for more than a century.

One of the most infamous legends is the belief that Stull Cemetery is home to one of the seven gateways to hell.

The Gate of Hell is located in the center of a demolished stone church, torn down in 2002.

A stone staircase leads up to the site. Though it appears at first that the staircase leads nowhere, you’ll notice the small circle of stones that lies beyond the blocks of stone and rubble above the last step.

On Halloween night it is believed that the devil will appear in the cemetery to visit the grave with the name “Wittich,” believed to be the grave of the witch that had a child with the devil.

However, the child was so deformed that it only lived for a few days before passing away.

When the devil visits the grave, the spirit of the child will appear in the form of a black wolf.

Along the graveyard is a winding road, given the nickname ‘Devil’s Road’ where a man allegedly lit his son on fire.

The boy ran the length of the road before collapsing and dying.

Along the same road stood a tall tree where it was said that women accused of witchcraft had been hanged.

The tree has been cut down since then.

Another claim is that in 1995, Pope John Paul II allegedly ordered his private plane to fly around eastern Kansas in order to avoid flying over the “unholy grounds” of Stull Cemetery. By 1989, large crowds would come to Stull on Halloween night to catch a glimpse of the devil.

Three movies and a TV episode of “Supernatural” have been made based on the legends about Stull cemetery.

However, the locals of Stull do not appreciate the legends and the tourists that come in search of Hell’s Gate.

Damage has been done to the sacred grounds by previous vandals, breaking headstones and causing havoc in the town.

In order to discourage visitors from coming, a chain-link fence has been put around the cemetery, with ‘No Trespassing’ signs at close intervals.

If someone trespasses they could be given a maximum of a $1,000 fine, and six months in jail, a sign said.