By Lariena Nokes

Lariena Nokes/Collegian - Margy Downard, a Dillons manager from Hutchinson, interviews HCC student Jared Rogers, Kansas City, at the HCC Jobs Fair

Making connections, especially with employers, is always a good thing.

Parker Student Union hosted an Opportunities Fair for students Sept. 23.

Local businesses, churches, and banks made it a lively event.

Jarod Rogers, Hutchinson, filled out a Dillon’s job application, and spoke with Margy Downard.

“Gonna have him working in my store by next week,” Downard said. “I promise you that.”

Students looked over booths and took advantage of the chance to sign up for new bank accounts, apply for jobs and compare churches.

Donna Miller, the manager of the Heartland Credit Union, hosted a drawing for a $25 Visa gift card.

“We have had really great participation today,” Miller said.

Lariena Nokes/Collegian - Bob Ward talks with Luke Hurtle, Nickerson, about jobs available at Strawn Contracting.  Ward had six positions to fill for the company.
Lariena Nokes/Collegian - Bob Ward talks with Luke Hurtle, Nickerson, about jobs available at Strawn Contracting. Ward had six positions to fill for the company.

“We have 35 to 45 entries for the gift card already.”

Angel Brawner, Hutchinson, filled out a drawing entry offered to her by Gleysna Mendez

“It’s free money, so of course, I am going to fill out an entry,” Brawner said.

The Alley had a popular table with job applications and information about Student Night.

Other possible sources of entertainment and employment included Applebee’s, Chili’s and Pizza Ranch.

Jimmy John’s has a record for fast service, but made a big impression, arriving fashionably late with sub sandwiches to give away. Many students took advantage of the free lunch.

Answerlink America had a booth ran by Kris Telrick, of Hutchinson.

“We always take applications for associates who are able to handle taking important work seriously and dealing with people one on one,” Telrick said.

All in all, employers were actively seeking employees, which is good news for college students.