By Bailey Terry

Bailey Terry /Collegian  - Jezel Parra, Hutchinson, blocks an opponent from the ball during a recent home game against the Sterling Warriors JV. The Dragons won 70-0.
Bailey Terry /Collegian - Jezel Parra, Hutchinson, blocks an opponent from the ball during a recent home game against the Sterling Warriors JV. The Dragons won 70-0.

The Blue Dragon football team traveled to Fort Dodge, Iowa, to face the Iowa Central Tritons on Sept. 19.

The Dragons won the game, 40-8, advancing the Dragons’ record to 3-1.

Hutch is now No. 8 in the NJCAA rankings.

As the game began, the Dragons were able to score within the first minute of the game after a 44-yard pass from Dimonic McKinzy, Kansas City, to Tyler Harris, Andover, resulting in the first touchdown of the game, followed by a field goal from Kassidy Lemons, Hutchinson.

The score was 7-0, with the Dragons ahead and 14 minutes remaining in the first quarter.

Four minutes later, Hutch scored another touchdown after another pass from McKinzy, who connected with Treyvon Paulk, Cumming, Georgia, scoring another six points.

Lemons attempted another extra point, but Iowa Central blocked it then

they proceeded to run the ball back for a rare defensive two-point score.

The score: 13-2.

Bailey Terry /Collegian  - Tyren Jones, Marietta, Georgia, runs the ball down the field as a team member blocks an opponent during a recent home game.
Bailey Terry /Collegian - Tyren Jones, Marietta, Georgia, runs the ball down the field as a team member blocks an opponent during a recent home game.

The Tritons kicked a 28-yard field goal to end the first quarter, making the score 13-5.

After five minutes of scoreless play, Iowa kicked a 36-yard field goal slowly closing Hutch’s lead to 13-8.

Scoring the only touchdown of the second quarter was Hutch’s Tre Griffin.

Griffin, Wichita, had a 27-yard run into the end zone, 19-8.

A few minutes into the third, McKinzy had a 62-yard pass to Josh Reynolds, Topeka, scoring another six for the Dragons, plus a two-point conversion from Paulk, making the score 27-8.

With two minutes left in the third, Hutch scored a touchdown after a one-yard run from Kylen Binn, Columbia, South Carolina, then failed to make a two-point conversion.

Scoring the last touchdown of the game in the fourth quarter was Tre King, Wichita, after a two-yard run. Lemons kicked the extra point.

The ending score was 40-8 with the Dragons coming out on top.

Hutch stopped their opponents from scoring during the second half.

In his first career start for Hutch, McKinzy finished the game with 14 completed passes out of 21 for 231 yards.

Leslie Maruo, Wichita, for the Dragons had four quarterback sacks and 10 tackles for loss of yards. Just behind him was Jarrod Sanders, Flomation, Alabama, with seven tackles.

Overall the Dragons had 26 first downs, 246 rushing yards, and 352 passing yards.

They are scheduled to play at home against the Conquistadors of Dodge City on Saturday, Sept. 26, at 7 p.m.