By Taryn Gillespie

Planned Parenthood is struggling with the fact that their government funding is on the verge of being taken away.

Recently a uproar has erupted, relating to the fact that after an abortion, with signed consent from the woman, Planned Parenthood is able to supply fetal tissue to scientists for research.

The agency is to be compensated for the costs involved, but not to make a profit. In a recent scandal, a secret video was leaked showing an interview with Planned Parenthood, making it look like they are being illegally compensated. In the wake of this, some are debating if their government funding should be cut.

Planned Parenthood was put in place to provide help for anyone needing it. They have been working to help out struggling women, men, and teens for almost 100 years.

The fact that Planned Parenthood is getting looked at in a negative manner because of this controversy is causing frustration for some.

“I think it is ridiculous. I don’t know why people need to stick their noses into it,” Roxanne Wilson, Salina, said. “Everything that Planned Parenthood does is very helpful.”

Kim Harrison, McPherson, can see both sides of the argument.

“I am pro-life,” she said. “The baby deserves an option. The only time it is okay to have an abortion is if the mother is at risk of dying. I find the fact that they are trying to take away government funding pretty pointless because that money doesn’t even go toward the abortions.”

To some, the fact that the fetal tissue is even being used at all is overwhelming and freaky.

“I think it’s creepy that they use the fetal tissue from the abortions,” said Kayla Penner, an English major from Hutchinson.

Brittany Inskeep, Hutchinson, said Planned Parenthood plays a big role in teenagers’ lives and she feels the funding should not be cut.

“I feel like Planned Parenthood is very important at our age,” She said.

“Being informed about STD’s, abortion, and birth control is something we need to know about.”