By Zeke Willcox
Melinda Dome/Collegian
Billy Graham, speaker and Christian evangelist, once said these words,

“The greatest legacy one can pass on to one’s children and grandchildren is not money or other material things accumulated in one’s life, but rather a legacy of character and faith.”

I believe these words to be true. Life is fragile, unpredictable, often times unstable. It is confusing, yet mesmerizing, and frankly, downright hard.

Far too often, many of us find ourselves in a trial that creates difficulty, uncertainty, confusion, or heartbreak.

Stop and reflect on your life during those times. How do you act in those moments? What thoughts were thought, what words were said?

It is your hardest moments in life which truly define your character.

My mom tells this very thing quite often. When I was younger, I would nod my head in agreement, not fully understanding. However, as I have grown, I have found a great truth in her words.

Regretfully, too often, during times which are difficult, I find myself reflecting on my own character. At times, I am not very proud.

Recently, I have been thinking of the legacy I will leave behind after I have died.

For what will I be known? Will I leave a positive and impactful mark on the world?

Robin Williams, passed away August 11, 2014. He was known for his talent, hilarity, and charm as a comedian and actor. But he is also known for ending his own life. Williams’ charismatic work was a contrast of his own life, as he suffered severely from depression. His legacy lives on, yet it is born out of a tragedy and unnecessary death.

This is heartbreaking. How can someone so accomplished and loved be so tormented?

But it doesn’t have to be this way.

Each day we are alive should be seen as something unexpected and undeserved. Yes, life is hard and it does have its thorns. Yet, life is also good and at times, very good.

Each day should be seen as a gift.

It doesn’t require much to make a difference. Some small interaction, a smile, opening a door for someone, or a friendly “hello”, can leave a small fingerprint of kindness on someone’s life.

Put others before yourself. Mow your neighbor’s yard, volunteer at the local soup kitchen, visit the old folks home, somehow make a difference.

As a Christian, I know that my life is not my own, and that it is Christ living in me.

Because of this truth, I need to live in such a way that shows that I am grateful for the life God has given me. It is so worth it.

Whether we like it or not, all of us will leave this earth and be remembered for something.

We all have a choice to be known for being honorable, generous, and kindhearted.

Hopefully, in many years, at the end of my life, I pray that the legacy I leave is a lasting one.

I pray that my future wife and children will remember me as a man who loved God, served people, and desired to do some good in this world.