By Kara Gale

Alan Montgomery/Collegian - Brett Bright was in his office March 5, getting to know the routine and taking time to meet people and begin the process of memorizing names, titles and jobs.

This past Monday, March 2, a new vice president of student services arrived on campus at Hutchinson Community College.

Brett Bright has had a busy few first days but is already enjoying being here.

He came from a similar job at a technical college in Texas and has been working in student services for over 15 years.

Bright has a wife and two kids, ages four and six. They will be staying in Texas until the end of the school year and will be coming to Kansas at the beginning of the summer.

The snow of the past week hasn’t bothered him too much, yet, although the temperatures have been frigid and some streets have been icy.

“Snow is OK as long as it comes in short bursts,” he said.

As vice president of student services, Bright supervises functions of student services such as recruitment, housing, financial aid, registrar and student activities.

Bright said he appreciates the opportunity from the trustees of the college and looks forward to many years of service.

So far, he has seen HCC as a very positive environment and sees it as a great place to work.

“I want to be here to help facilitate students from the day they’re recruited until they’ve found a job after graduation,” Bright said.

The new vice president of student services is a man who is ready to assist students in any way possible.