By DaKota Hilburn

The American Red Cross is coming to Hutchinson Community College to host a blood drive sponsored by the Student Government Association, on Monday, Feb. 2, in the basement of Parker Student Union.

“You can make an appointment through the donor app or the website at www.redcrossblood.org,” said Megan Bartly, an SGA member.

The Red Cross Blood Donor app provides information to encourage potential blood donors.

The app informs donors that every two seconds, someone in the United States needs blood, and every day there is a need for 41,000 blood donations.

There are many benefits to donating blood like, receiving a cost-free mini-physical, to check your pulse, blood pressure, body temperature, and hemoglobin.

People can get a feeling of pride after donating blood.

Then there are the free snacks, T-shirts, “I gave blood” stickers, along with knowing there will be blood supplies available when someone needs it.

Some requirements to give blood, according to the Red Cross, include: not giving too frequently (wait eight weeks between donations), feeling healthy the day of the donation, being at least 17 years old and weigh at least 110 pounds.

Donors are screened for a variety of other health factors.

Remember if you donate blood, to stay hydrated before and after donating. Eat before donating, and don’t do any heavy lifting after the donation, for one day.

Views: 68