Every year, when fall rolls around, you’ll hear people complain that the weather is too cold. Or that it’s not sunny enough. Or that summer is way better and next year they’re going to move to Florida. (This time I mean it!)

But recently, I’ve been hearing the opposite of this on campus – that fall is the best season of them all and anyone who says it’s not doesn’t know what they’re talking about.

And I have to agree … fall is awesome. And if you let me tell you why, I think you’ll come to believe that sweater weather and pumpkin-flavored everything marks the best time of year.

Firstly, the weather. About 50 to 75 degrees for around two months. Although it doesn’t last for all that long, that’s exactly why fall is so special. Cold enough to put on your favorite sweater, warm enough to not quite break out the winter jackets (although the shared experience of walking out your front door with just a t-shirt on during the first 35-degree morning does make me reconsider this). 

It’s by far the best season for clothing. Having bonfires, fall fests, get-togethers, or doing anything when the weather isn’t 95 degrees or 18 degrees is something we Kansans shouldn’t take for granted.

Of course, the traditional slate of activities that come with fall makes the season even more special. Going to pumpkin patches, haunted houses, all the stereotypical things that make fall fun. And if you’re a sports fan, then oh boy, you have to love fall. Both the NFL and college football are in full swing, as well as high school football. The Major League Baseball playoffs are heating up. The NBA and NHL seasons are right around the corner, and this is also right around the time when Dallas Cowboys fans will tell you that it’s their year (I’ll take delusion for 400, Alex).

There are so many other reasons why fall is great. The leaves falling off of trees make for great walks and drives. Weekend trips with family. Halloween and Thanksgiving are coming up. I could go on and on, but I won’t. Get out and enjoy fall. Before starting your car in the morning becomes a necessity.

Cleary Percy is a Haven freshman studying education with a focus in history.

Views: 126