By Jolie Shultz
Staff Writer

The Kansas State Fair is once again rolling into town. The fair can be expensive, so here are a few financially friendly tips that could help Hutchinson Community College students save money this fair season, which starts Friday and ends Sept. 17.

That isn’t to say that there aren’t ways for everyone to still enjoy the state fair. Every year the state fair offers multiple opportunities to still have an amazing experience while still maintaining a budget. 

Dillons’ Dollar Day is often a hit, with admission costing $1 or free with a Dillons Plus card, or the Dillons app. Also offered is $5 admissions every night after 9 p.m. General gate admission is $10.

Tuesday offers some deals with both $4 admissions after 4 p.m., which is also offered on Thursday, and “Tasty Tuesday”. 

Tuesday is also known as “Tasty Tuesday” and likewise offers deals including $4 admission after 4 p.m.

Olivia Rome, a Hutchinson Community College sophomore from Nickerson, speaks highly of “Tasty Tuesday”. 

“I always go around with my sisters to try new and different foods that I typically wouldn’t try,” Rome said. “My sisters and I always take turns picking out which vendors we want to try.” 

Many vendors participate in “Tasty Tuesday” which continues to be a huge hit. There is a list of vendors who participate in this activity at the admissions gates. 

With admission and food related tips covered, what about entertainment?

“We’ve got lots of free, on-grounds entertainment,” said Bryan Schulz, the General Manager at the Kansas State Fair. 

Lowen Corporation and People’s Bank and Trust Arena that offers several exciting acts, including local high school choirs, Ron Diamond Hypnotist, and more.

Also being offered is IFLIP, an aerial acrobatics show, at Gottschalk Park. 

Beyond the talent offered at the free stages, there’s a lot happening on the Midway as well. 

Carly Bontrager and Zoe Coonce, sophomores at HutchCC from Nickerson, both have fond memories of growing up with the state fair’s wristband days.

“Local schools typically get a day off school so we’d always get a group of our friends together to go,” Bontrager said. 

“We obviously loved the rides but sometimes it can be pretty expensive, especially if you go a lot,” Coone said. “Getting ticket sheets can be pretty expensive, since each ride takes more than one. Having a wristband means you just have to pay once that day.”

Wristband Days include Friday, Tuesday-Sept. 15, and Sept. 17.

Wristbands are $35 and last for the entire day of purchase. Thursday even offers “Thrifty Thursday” where wristbands are only $30.