By Lizzie Kipp / Online Editor

Since joining the University of Kansas in 2003, men’s basketball head coach Bill Self has led the Jayhawks to countless victories on the court.

This season, however, had the coach facing some new obstacles.

Self has been on the sidelines for much of March due to complications regarding his health.

Right before the Big 12 Tournament in Kansas City, Mo., Self underwent a standard heart procedure – more specifically a heart catheterization to treat blocked arteries. Initial reports stating Self suffered a heart attack were incorrect.

His operation forced the Jayhawks to continue their pursuit of another NCAA championship without him. The Jayhawks, who have won six national championships, including four NCAA Tournaments and two under Self in 2008 and 2022, ended up losing in the Big 12 championship game to Texas, and then to Arkansas in the second round of the NCAA Tournament with Self not coaching.

On top of that, Self is scheduled to speak at the upcoming Dillon Lecture Series on April 18. However, in light of his new health concerns, will he still make an appearance at the Sports Arena?

Fear not, Jayhawk fans. Becky Rogers, the Dillon Lecture Series Coordinator, assures that the head coach will be present.

“Based on recent conversations with his representatives, plans continue to move forward,” she said.

Self is expected to make a full recovery and is expected to be back in the game soon.

Rogers acknowledged the large number of KU basketball fans in the Hutchinson community and expressed excitement about the upcoming lecture.

“With the success Coach Self and Kansas basketball have consistently achieved, we feel certain there will be strong interest among the community to hear his message.”

One thought on “Bill Self still planning on Hutchinson visit

1. renetta kroeker says:

when is the Dillon program? what is cost to attend?