By Lizzie Kipp / Online Editor

Everyone needs a haircut at some point in their lives. No one misses having to do it themselves, like they had to a few years ago during the Covid-19 lockdown.

Lots of uneven bangs and regretful dye jobs.

For those interested in cutting hair, and maybe not just their own, development for a new barbering program is in the works at Hutchinson Community College.

However, one could argue that since HutchCC has a great cosmetology program, there isn’t really a need for a barbering curriculum.

Alex Hass, HutchCC’s cosmetology program coordinator, explains that while the two programs are similar, barbering is actually a completely different license than cosmetology.

“Barbers do learn a bit about women’s hair, color, perming, and nails, but the main focus of that program is on men’s haircutting,” Hass said. “Our cosmetology program covers the basics and some advanced aspects of hair, skin and nails.”

Hass advised that the barbering program is the best option for students who wish to focus specifically on men’s haircutting, rather than the wider range of services that the cosmetology school provides.

The barbering school will be built onto the north end of the cosmetology building, which is located at 200 East 3rd Avenue here in Hutchinson. Construction is expected to take about a year.

The instructors and clinic floors will be completely separated, but some spaces will be shared between the barbering and cosmetology programs. They will share a lunchroom and some of the classrooms – but not at the same time, of course.

Cosmetology students at HutchCC will benefit from the new addition. Once they’ve earned their cosmetology license, they will be able to take a bridge program in which they do 500 hours of barbering and earn that license as well. The same goes for any barbering students who also want a cosmetology license.

“I’m really excited for this to be a part of the Hutchinson community,” Hass said. “This will give future barbers the same options as our cosmetology students.”

HutchCC President Carter File also shows excitement about the new addition to the college.

“I do believe that we will be the only public institution in Kansas that offers both barbering and cosmetology,” File said. “And I believe we will be the only public barbering program.”

File also said that he looks forward to the new program, and to giving HutchCC students another great career option.

Students who think they can make the cut should expect to sign up for the barbering program as early as the spring 2024 semester.