By Paige Asberry / Staff writer

Hutchinson Community College Outreach is an extension of the main Hutchinson campus.

Early College Outreach Coordinator Michelle Nuss said the mission of the Outreach programs is to “provide access throughout our service area, which includes Reno, Harvey, and McPherson counties. Outreach provides lifelong learning opportunities, academic transfer, and excel in Career and Technical Education classes for early college students to earn college credit while in high school”.

Outreach has two full-service centers in McPherson and Newton that offer advising, counseling, financial aid, bookstores, placement testing, test proctoring, and job-seeker services. These centers provide a full schedule of day and night courses for students with unusual schedules. The McPherson Center is home to the Practical Nursing (LPN) program, while the Newton Center provides the Paramedic (EMS) program. Outreach Centers also provide a place for workforce training in the communities.

In addition to the full-service centers, outreach coordinates early college enrollment to high school students at over 30 different  area high schools. They began a new program this academic year to provide free textbooks for select academic transfer classes. Students also have access to Career and Technical Education classes, tuition free, through the Excel in CTE program.

“Outreach encourages students to be aware of and take advantage of HutchCC’s Step Ahead program,” Nuss said. “Follow our HutchCC Early College Facebook page at @HutchCCEarlyCollege.”

To round off the services they offer, Outreach offers Lifelong Learning classes for the community.

“Our mission is to provide continuing education opportunities beyond credit hour offerings to gain skills, knowledge, and experiences to enrich your life”, Nuss said. “We offer a variety of courses to fit your interests, budget, and schedule.”

Staples of Lifelong Learning include American Sign Language, Silversmithing 1 and 2, historical religious classes, Let’s Get Growing, and Basic Woodworking.

Outreach expanded their schedule this semester to add Cake Decorating and Dancing classes.

Outreach is always looking to expand programs and instructors. Follow the HutchCC Outreach Facebook page, or contact outreachinfo@hutchcc.edu or call 620-727-2791 for more information.