By Carly Thompson / Staff writer

Hutchinson Community College alumnus, and Quarterback Club Hall of Famer, Deron McCue has returned to campus as an assistant baseball coach.

McCue, a Hutchinson native, played baseball and football at HutchCC from 1981-1983. He also played for the summer wood-bat collegiate team, the Hutchinson Broncs, before he was drafted by the San Francisco Giants. His career went from playing to managing and coaching in the Giants’ organization. Later, McCue returned to Kansas where he managed the newer summer collegiate team, the Hutchinson Monarchs, and coached at Nickerson High School. 

McCue gives credit to HutchCC for beginning his career and has always wanted to come back and coach.

“I’ve always cared about this program and Coach (Ryan) Schmidt has done a great job in his 11 years …the opportunity finally came where I could come and coach here full time,” McCue said.

Schmidt said McCue was a “no brainer” to hire, based on his experience, along with the friendship they have developed over the years. 

“He has coached, developed, and mentored many Blue Dragon players during his tenure as the Monarchs manager,” Schmidt said. “He is a player’s coach. He can relate to every single player on the field and the guys gravitate to him. He’s going to bring a new life to the offensive side of the ball game.”

McCue calls himself a “hard, but fair” coach and values being honest with his players.

“If you see me on the baseball field, I’m always talking and yelling,” McCue said. “If you see me off the field I’m very quiet and I don’t hardly say a peep. Quiet off the field, on the field you can’t shut me up.”

McCue said he urges the team to get to know the Hutchinson community and show appreciation for its support of the team. His favorite part about coaching is the interaction he gets with the players and being able to help develop them on their journey to the next level. 

Both coaches emphasize the importance of teaching the players valuable life lessons the players can use later on. 

They look forward to this season and being able to see the team in action.

“It’s great how you can get a team together from all over and they all come together as a family. I think that’s pretty neat,” McCue said.

The Blue Dragons are off to a 3-1 start, with a three-game, three-day trip to Texas starting on Friday.

One thought on “ From the pros to the Dragons: Deron McCue makes his HutchCC return

1. Thomas D Allen says:

Deron is a great person and a fantastic mentor to the young athletes in our community! Hutch is lucky to have him!