By Ben Short / Staff Writer

Last week, the second-ranked Hutchinson Community College football team barely escaped the Coffeyville Red Ravens.

In a slow game from the offensive side of the ball there was one guy who helped the Blue Dragons stay undefeated and move on to 4-0 on the season – sophomore Dylan Kedzior.

The native Oklahoman scored the go-ahead touchdown late in the fourth quarter that gave the Blue Dragons the final margin.

Dylan Kedzior attempts to break a tackle in Hutchinson’s season opening win against Navarro Community College.
Photo by Andrew Carpenter / HutchCC Sports Information

Kedzior has spent three seasons in Hutchinson – he got an extra year of eligibility due to Covid – and mainly helped the Blue Dragons on special teams, with very minimal running back reps. This year he has stepped into a more dynamic role for the offense.

“Over the past two seasons, I was always utilized more for special teams and saw some running back reps. This season, my role has gotten bigger, and I’ve been able to come in and make an impact when the game is on the line,” Kedzior said.

Kedzior rushed for 85 yards on 12 attempts, averaging 7 yards a carry and a touchdown on Saturday. Those 85 yards and touchdown came up big for the Blue Dragons as they only won 14-9.

“The only thing that was going through my head was that I needed to put the ball in the end zone,” Kedzior said. “There were some questions on how ready I was to play this week, as I had been inactive because of my wrist, so I didn’t play for a large majority of the game. Watching from the sideline and seeing how the game was going I knew if I got in I had to make an impact. So that’s really all I was focused on.

Coming off a big game, Kedzior looks to keep being a big factor in the Blue Dragons’ offense.

“I don’t know if I’ve done enough yet in these few games to say it’s my best year yet, but what I do know is that I’m a better player than I was in the previous seasons. I think my improvement will show more as the season progresses.”

Before this season, Kedzior rushed for 369 yards and three touchdowns. So far this season, in limited action due to injury, Kedzior has 147 yards and one touchdown.