Compiled by Laci Sutton / Managing Editor-Content

Title: Where The Wild Things Are

Author: Maurice Sendak

Year Released: 1963

Where has it been banned/challenged? Mostly in the southern parts of the U.S.

Reason for ban/challenge: The book’s supernatural themes raised concerns in parents. They also felt the illustrations promoted witchcraft. Some even said they thought it could be psychologically damaging to young children, instilling fear of abandonment.

Title: Harriet the Spy

Author: Louise Fitzhugh

Year Released: 1964

Where has it been banned/challenged? Southern U.S.

Reason for ban/challenge: Adults felt the book set a bad example by encouraging children to spy on others, lie and talk back/disrespect their parents.

Title: Where’s Waldo?

Author: Martin Hanford

Year Released: 1987

Where has it been banned/challenged? Several schools across the country, and some prisons in Texas.

Reason for ban/challenge: A drawing of a woman sunbathing topless was hidden in the corner of one of the illustrations.

Title: Captain Underpants (series)

Author: Dav Pilkey

Year Released: 1997

Where has it been banned/challenged? A Michigan elementary school, among others across the U.S.

Reason for ban/challenge: Crude language, violence and some cases also challenged due to the possibility of the main character being gay.

Title: Gossip Girl (series)

Author: Cecily Von Ziegesar

Year Released: 2002

Where has it been banned/challenged? Initially, a Florida public library challenged the book in 2008 with others following their lead.

Reason for ban/challenged: There are mentions of underage drinking and alcohol use, drug use, violence, and sexual content.

Title: The Handmaid’s Tale

Author: Margaret Atwood

Year Released: 1985

Where has it been banned/challenged? Portugal, Spain, and several public libraries and schools (mostly in the southern U.S.)

Reason for ban/challenge: Some found it degrading to the Christian and Islamic religions, in addition to the vulgarity and sexual overtones.

Title: The Hunger Games (series)

Author: Suzanne Collins

Year Released: 2008

Where has it been banned/challenged? Several public schools across the U.S.

Reason for ban/challenge: Anti-ethnic, anti-family, insensitivity, offensive language, cult-like behavior and violence. Parents said it caused their children nightmares and felt it encouraged violent and murderous acts.

Title: Of Mice and Men

Author: John Stienbeck

Year Released: 1937

Where has it been banned/challenged?: Ireland and several schools and libraries in the U.S.

Reason for ban/challenge: Vulgarity, racism, homosexual overtones and the poor treatment of women.