By Carly Thompson
Staff Writer

Like most things these days, the Kansas State Fair can be expensive for college students. However, there are several ways students can enjoy the fair without breaking the bank.

Abby Yutzy, a Hutchinson Community College freshman from Buhler, recommends going with friends.

“Going with friends makes the experience more enjoyable, and there are plenty of buildings to walk through and sights to see. My personal favorite is the animal barn,” Yutzy said.

Chicken City is one of the many vendors that will be at the State Fair

She enjoys seeing all the other free entertainment around the fair as well.

Carson Moler, a Buhler freshman, is always on the hunt for cheap fair food. He also likes watching the different acts at the People’s Bank and Trust stage. There are performances like Ron Diamond, who puts on a hypnotist show multiple times throughout the fair. There are also a variety of contests and bands performing that take place at the People’s Bank and Trust stage.

Bryan Schulz, the General Manager at the Kansas State Fair, recommends checking out the fair’s website for a list of entertainment and deals going on at the fair.

“One of the biggest days is Dillon’s Dollar Day, which is Monday,” Schulz said. “If you are a Dillons Plus card member, you get in for free. If you’re not, it’s only a buck. Tuesday, it’s four dollars after 4 p.m.”

Tuesday is also “Tasty Tuesday” and participating vendors will have $2 concession options. Fairgoers can pick up a flier at the front gate for a list of vendors participating.

Once you’re inside the fairgrounds, Schulz recommends checking out Gottschalk Park for the Flying Fools show. The Flying Fools are a group of acrobatic divers showcasing their skills. The show is free.

Also, keep an eye out for Max Power, a nine-foot-tall robot, and his mini monster truck friend, Nitro. They will be wandering around the fairgrounds.

Another mobile act is The Strolling Piano, a musician who sings and plays the piano on the go. While students may not have as much money as they hope, they can enjoy the fair on a budget with a little bit of research and time planning before you go.

Daily admission is $10.