Valentine’s Day is (unfortunately) quickly approaching. As much as my single self wants to pretend this holiday doesn’t exist, the stores have made it clear that’s not possible.

So rather than let the pity party swallow me whole, I’ve decided to find my own reasons to celebrate.

Over the last two years, I’ve made leaps and bounds in improving my mental health. I’ve accepted that I’m not completely well and have actively sought help.

It’s been a journey. It hasn’t always been easy, but I’ve discovered something that’s been hidden for a while.

I have a newfound confidence in myself that I had no idea even existed. There’s a new sense of self-love that I haven’t felt in a long time.

I can’t credit all of this progress to myself. I have so many people who have contributed to my growth.

My family and friends are constantly supporting me and surrounding me with love. They’re always there to help carry me through my worst days and to enjoy the best ones.

My mom and my sister have had the biggest impact. They continue to push me to be the best version of myself and to chase after everything I want in life. They’ve provided me with guidance when I wasn’t sure what to do next and have given me something to look forward to every day.

If I’m having a really bad day I know I can count on them to provide me the encouragement I need to get through it.

They’ve also brought me closer to one of my favorite places – the church.

My journey with my faith hasn’t always been a straight path, but thanks to them I have found the most incredible church family to help get me back on track. I’ve found even more love and support than I could ever imagine.

So this Valentine’s Day, instead of throwing myself a pity party for my nonexistent love life, I will be spending it enjoying the love that life has given me.

Love for myself.

Love for and from my family.

Love for and from my faith.

Laci Sutton is a Nickerson senior studying nursing. She is the Collegian’s Opinion Page Editor