By Aubreigh Heck / Online Editor

With the Hutchinson Community College football team hungry for a win, Anwar Lewis didn’t think this was a “make or break” kind of game.

Thanks to 210 rushing yards and two touchdowns, Hutchinson Community College sophomore running back Anwar Lewis helped pave the way for a 55-6 victory against the Fort Scott Greyhounds on Saturday at Gowans Stadium.

“We had a good week of practice, we worked hard, we deserved (the win). We were locked in, and we had a chip on our shoulder,” Lewis said.

The proverbial chip on the shoulder was their previous two games, both of which resulted in losses for the Blue Dragons, to Coffeyville and then to Butler. HutchCC fell out of the NJCAA national Top 15, after starting the year at No. 1.

Lewis, a running back, scored both his Saturday touchdowns in the third quarter – a 9-yard run to make it 34-6 Blue Dragons, and a 36-yard run to make it 41-6. Lewis also accumulated the majority of his yards in the third quarter, rushing for 114.

Photo by HutchCC Sports Information

Lewis accounted for more than half of the rushing yards for the reigning NJCAA national champion, with the team as a whole having a net 409 yards. He averaged 11.1 yards on each of his 19 carries.

Lewis accounted for about 33% of the team’s targets/carries, with the team having 56 all together.

Lewis said he wants to use Saturday’s performance and win as an opportunity to stay locked in and focused. After losing their first two games, the Blue Dragons went on a bye week, which helped Lewis a lot.

“The bye week helped me become more locked in, more focused and helped me rebuild,” Lewis said.

With only four games left in the regular season, and only one being a home game, Lewis has a message for Blue Dragon fans.“Just keep supporting and showing love, it really helps,” he said.