By Danielle Gadberry / Staff Writer

Computer Connections, an annual event at Hutchinson Community College, is in its third year of helping students realize what kind of job opportunities are available locally.

Computer Connections brings in companies relevant to computer majors/degrees, so those students can see what is out there. Rather than hearing the skillsets from instructors, this gives students a chance to hear it from employers.

This year, the event is Wednesday in the Recital Hall in Stringer Fine Arts Center, from 10:20 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., but presenters will be staying until noon to answer questions in a roundtable format.

The five companies that are expected to attend this year are Heartland Credit Union, Mid-Kansas Coop, Lowen, Bradbury Group and Ideatek. These companies are coming to re-emphasize to students that you don’t have to move away to find a job, there are companies in Hutchinson that are hiring students fresh out of college.

This event is happening thanks to Matt Magee, HutchCC Computer Science Associate Professor, and the computer science department.

Magee is telling his students to come and show your face, that first impressions are important, even if you’re not interested in what they have.

“You never know what a difference that can make in the future, if they remember your face from this event,” Magee said.

Magee also talked about how a lot of these companies aren’t typically what you think of when you hear “IT,” but most companies need it. Bringing these companies in shows the students that IT is needed virtually everywhere. He also wants to reiterate that this event is not just for those studying for a computer degree, but anyone who is interested.

Magee said he was grateful to be having this event. He said he wasn’t sure if the event was going to happen this year due to COVID.

“These events are essential to students and helping them see what is out there, but with COVID it makes giving students these opportunities difficult,” Magee said.