By Sam Bailey and Emily Branson / Staff writers

2020 has been a year filled with hardship and heartache for most people. 

Around every turn seemed to be another obstacle for people to combat: five months of quarantine, sporting events cancelled, socializing becoming scarce, jobs were lost, millions became sick with COVID-19, and more.  

Looking back on the year, it can seem like it was shrouded in negativity, but there is a positive side to every situation, even if it’s hard to see. 

With 2020 coming to an end at Hutchinson Community College, some students look back at the good things that came to them this year.

Name: Addison Nigh

Hometown: Baldwin City
Grade: Sophomore

One good thing that happened to you this year or something that made you feel good this year: Although COVID may have put a pause on a lot of my plans this semester, I feel as though staying in the dorms brought me a lot closer to a lot of new people. We were able to build such a family bond.

Name: Alysa Marker

Hometown: Hutchinson
Grade: Sophomore

One good thing that happened to you this year or something that made you feel good this year: Being able to find a way to work games with athletes.

Name: Bailey Goodman

Hometown: Bentley
Grade: Freshman

One good thing that happened to you this year or something that made you feel good this year: One good thing that happened to me this year would have to be the fact that I have met so many new people. College has forced me to break out of my comfort zone and this semester I have really enjoyed having lots of friends.

Name: Jaedyn Miller

Hometown: Council Grove
Grade: Sophomore

One good thing that happened to you this year or something that made you feel good this year: I’m really glad we got to (softball) practice and have school in-person given the circumstances. Many places were not given the opportunity to do any of those, so we were very lucky.

Name: Dorian Jamison

From: Rock Hill, South Carolina
Grade: Sophomore

One good thing that happened to you this year or something that made you feel good this year: One good thing that happened this year for me was me being able to spend a bunch of time with my family during quarantine. I felt like the quarantine helped us become closer.

Name: Lylia Fernandez

From: Newton
Grade: Sophomore

One good thing that happened to you this year or something that made you feel good this year: One good thing that has happened for me this year is being able to be in my art classes in person. It is much more productive and positive than doing classes online. I am also more connected and can learn better from my instructor because we interact with projects a lot better than we would online. I have also been able to connect with friends and family on new levels because everything that’s going on right now has challenged us to communicate more and we have become stronger together.

Name: Jonathan White

From: Quitman, Georgia
Grade: Sophomore

One good thing that happened to you this year or something that made you feel good this year:

I can think of so many things that were positive, but the main two things I can say is me having a child on November 14, 2020. (It was) the best feeling ever holding my son, it was like seeing myself. Second thing is actually getting my first official offer after so much hard work, stress, being impatient and not being noticed. I got one offer and one chance and that’s all I wanted was a chance and I finally got it.

Name: Myranda Stika

From: Burdick
Grade: Sophomore

One good thing that happened to you this year or something that made you feel good this year: Being able to stay in touch with my friends during COVID and getting to spend time with them back here at Hutch for the fall semester.

Name: Manny Mukuamu

From: Charlotte, North Carolina
Grade: Freshman

One good thing that happened to you this year or something that made you feel good this year: One great thing that happened to me was competing at a college level and the connections I made with my TV.

Name: Damien Devine

From: Fitzgerald, Georgia
Grade: Freshman

One good thing that happened to you this year or something that made you feel good this year: A good thing that happened to me this year was I’ve truly found my purpose and started a walk to my spiritual self.

Name: CJ Ogbanna

From: Marietta, Georgia

Grade: Sophomore

One good thing that happened to you this year or something that made you feel good this year: “My family because I got to hang out with my family when we were quarantined. My sister had me do TikToks with her a lot.”

Name: RJ Stovall

From: Halstead

Grade: Sophomore

One good thing that happened to you this year or something that made you feel good this year: “Something good that happened is I got to just focus on and not have any job to worry about at all this semester.”

Name: Abigail Egerstaffer

From: Hutchinson

Grade: Sophomore

One good thing that happened to you this year or something that made you feel good this year: “Well a lot of that stuff has happened this year but I met my best friend and boyfriend this year. His name is Sebastian and he’s one of the greatest things to ever happen to me thus far.  We have been dating almost five months and he’s brought me nothing but joy.  And another thing that I am happy about is I finally know what I want to do degree wise and that is to go into anthropology. It’s always nice to know what you want to do in life.”

Name: Jerica Mueller

From: Bentley

Grade: Freshman

One good thing that happened to you this year or something that made you feel good this year: “I am thankful for my family. I’m thankful for them because we are close. With COVID and everything being up in the air we have all gotten closer.”

Name: Josie Harris

From: Burrton

Grade: Freshman

One good thing that happened to you this year or something that made you feel good this year: “I have been extremely thankful for my mom. She has helped me get through a lot of really hard times this year and I don’t know what I would do without her.”

Name: Lane Pitts

From: Halstead

Grade: Sophomore

One good thing that happened to you this year or something that made you feel good this year: “This year I am thankful for many things because I sometimes take them for granted too often. I am thankful that I can live rent free for my second year of college, I am thankful that my family has been able to stay healthy throughout the pandemic. I am very thankful for meeting a new best friend who I can truly trust and share memories with and to love each other for today and hopefully for the rest of our days. I am thankful for everyone who has help guided me to where I am today because without them I would be lost. I am thankful for the teachers and coachs I have had in my life for instilling good character and strength in me.”

Name: Emily Earls

From: Partridge

Grade: Freshman

One good thing that happened to you this year or something that made you feel good this year: Making new friends.

Name: Caitlyn Johnson

From: Clearwater

Grade: Sophomore

One good thing that happened to you this year or something that made you feel good this year: “That i got to move in with my best friends and have the best summer of my life.”

Name: Kristen Millspaugh

From: Halstead

Grade: Freshman

One good thing that happened to you this year or something that made you feel good this year: “I’m extremely thankful for all of the new relationships that I’ve made the past few months and the experiences that I’ve been able to have”

Name: Christian Wiedeman

From: Halstead

Grade: Sophomore

One good thing that happened to you this year or something that made you feel good this year: “I am thankful for the love and support from my peers, friends, and family as I try to complete my education. I also very thankful for the opportunity to complete my education in general; with everything going on in our world today, it’s truly a blessing!”

Name: Drake Dick

From: Buhler

Grade: Freshman

One good thing that happened to you this year or something that made you feel good this year: “I picked up golf during April, during quarantine, and became something I could just do with all my boys and take away all of my worries or whatever was going through my head. It got me through some tough times.”

Name: Kaleb Wiggins

From: Buhler

Grade: Sophomore

One good thing that happened to you this year or something that made you feel good this year: “I’ve gotten a lot closer with a lot of my friends”

Name: Cody Moran

From: Buhler

Grade: Freshman

One good thing that happened to you this year or something that made you feel good this year: “Despite 2020 being crazy and sucking for a majority of the population, I’ve tried making the best of it. I think the biggest thing I’m thankful for this year has to be getting a new job in the middle of the pandemic madness going around. Sure, it sounds extremely boring, but I’m extremely thankful to have a job in this time, especially one where I can make good money and receive good benefits while I’m in college. Can’t complain about that a whole lot”