Story by Editor in Chief Samarah Bailey and staff writer Laci Sutton

HutchCC students and faculty review what they’ve been watching in quarantine.

Students:

Name: Curley Baines
Major: Undecided
What are you streaming? “MeatEater”
What platform are you streaming it on? Netflix
Can you find it on another platform? Amazon Prime and Sling TV
Review: I love the show. I really recommend people watch it.

Name: Madison Grimes
Major: Undecided
What are you streaming? “Shameless”
Can you find it on another platform? Hulu and Amazon Prime
Review: It starts off slow, around the third episode it gets interesting. I would recommend this show to people.

Name: Danzo Alexander
Major: Psychology
What are you streaming? “The Outer Banks”
Review: “It’s an amazing showing of a treasure hunt to be honest.”

Name: Victoria Powell
Major: Secondary English Education
What are you streaming? “How I met your Mother”
What platform are you streaming it on? Hulu
Can you find it on another platform? Season one on Amazon Prime
Review: I love the humor and the fact that it has a story line, but at the same time you can watch any episode and it doesn’t matter if it’s in order. I would suggest it to people who like shows like “Friends” or “Big Bang Theory.”

Name: Ryan Roderick
Major: Music Education
What are you streaming? “Gravity Falls”
What platform are you streaming it on? Disney Plus
Review: It’s the stupid type of humor and that’s what I love. I would recommend it to only people who have stupid types of humor.

Faculty and staff:

Name: Nick Schroeder
Position at college: Coordinator of the Jazz Program
What are you streaming? Tour de France, Sporting KC soccer, Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood (I have two young kids).
What platform are you streaming it on? Roku/NBC/Fox Sports(and Fox Sports Go)/Prime Video(PBS Kids).
Can you find it on another platform? Probably, we pretty much use Roku with Netflix, Prime Video, ESPN, Fox Sports.
Review of the movie/series: This year’s Tour de France had an amazing finish. I know NOBODY watches this sport, but it is epic – 21 days of treacherous bicycle racing, lots of crashes, injuries, and heroism digging into the deep depths of one’s potential. The time trial on stage 20 was one of the most incredible moments in sports over the last decade at least. Don’t care about cycling? Check out the hours and hours of amazing helicopter shots of the French countryside (and the Alps, and the Pyrenees…)
Sporting KC is doing OK I guess. Except when they lose. That’s always a drag.
“Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood” is incredibly thoughtful and great to teach kids emotional intelligence. Each episode has a musical motif throughout which is the lesson and is interjected in numerous forms (and numerous keys depending on the vocal range of the character). Hopefully it’s helping my kids grow and not rotting their brains.

Name: Kim Parsons
Position at college: Associate Professor of Art
What are you streaming? “Lost Treasures of the Maya”
Review of the movie/series: The new technology of LiDAR (using lasers to reveal ancient ruins) has led to many recent discoveries which, in turn, means that we are now revising and rewriting history.  I am completely fascinated by this process.

Name: Michelle Carey
Position at college: Biology Instructor
What are you streaming? “Midsomer Murders”, all the “Alien” movies, various anime shows – “Inuyasha”, “Seven Deadly Sins”, “Blue Exorcist”
What platform are you streaming it on? Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, Netflix
Review of the movie/series: “Midsomer Murders” is a British show.  Has some cheesy parts, but that adds to the awesomeness, such as the theme song comes on anytime someone dies. When they are attacked they freeze every single time and are doomed. “Alien” movies were rewatches. Still loved them. Anime shows short, action filled, what’s not to love.

Name: Ken Gaeddert
Position at college: Biological Sciences Professor
What are you streaming? Murder mysteries (“Midsomer Murders” and “Death in Paradise”)
What platform are you streaming it on? Brit Box
Can you find it on another platform? No
Review of the movie/series: “Midsomer Murders”: Typically three or four murders take place before the police finally figure out the whodunnit. It’s in England, but a universal story of the reasons why people kill other people. “Death in Paradise”: Good character development and surprising whodunnits. Takes place in the Caribbean.

Name: Jessica Niblack
Position at college: Sociology Instructor
What are you streaming? “Chicago Fire/Med/P.D.”
What platform are you streaming it on? Amazon Prime and Netflix
Can you find it on another platform? Can find Fire and P.D. on both Amazon Prime and Netflix, but Med is only on Prime and only through IMDtv.
Review of the movie/series: These shows do a good job of highlighting some of the societal issues that each of these roles have to deal with. The shows give a real life feel of a day-in-the-life while doing a good job of providing individual stories for the characters. It is also interesting how all three shows overlap and tie into each other. The writers more or less force you to watch all three shows to get the full story.

Name: Kim Johnson
Position at college: Business Professor
What are you streaming? “Downton Abbey”
What platform are you streaming it on? Amazon Prime
Can you find it on another platform? It was originally on PBS, but I think now you can only watch it on Prime
Review of the movie/series: It’s basically a soap opera about a wealthy family and their servants in the early 1900s. Plenty of scandal and character development, twists and turns. I am watching the last season and will be sad when it is over!

Name: Alyssa Freeman
Position at college: Head Spirit Coach
What are you streaming?: “Legacie”
Review of the movie/series: “Absolutely love it, it’s a spin off of the vampire diaries and originals.”

Name: Tricia Paramore
Position at college: Chairperson, Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, and Mathematics Dept.
What are you streaming? Well, my kids got me to watch “Stranger Things” last spring. And “NCIS” is always a fan favorite at my house. Since spring, though, we mainly just watch a movie here and there.
Review of the movie/series: “Stranger Things” was strangely good. I was hooked pretty quickly. Other adults, please don’t judge. The late 80s-90s era was high school and college for me, so the series was nostalgic. Am I eagerly awaiting the next season? Yes. Again, don’t judge.

Name: Cindy Keast
Position at college: Director Endowment Association and Alumni and Friends
What are you streaming? “Cursed”
What platform are you streaming it on: Netflix
Review of the movie/series: “Can’t wait for the next season to start.”

Name: Carter File
Position at college: College President
What are you streaming? “Cheers”, “Big Bang Theory”, several crime mysteries, “Away”, and a number of comedies. I re-watched the entire “Star Wars” franchise. I also like to watch sports and have been watching the NBA Playoffs with my son.
What platform are you streaming on? Netflix and Amazon Prime on Roku, HBOMax on a computer that I have hooked up to the TV.
Review of the movie/series: “Cheers”, “Big Bang Theory”, and the “Star Wars” franchise are all must watch. Sports, it depends on who you are cheering for. The rest are open for discussion.

Names: Kim Newberry
What are you streaming? During the beginning of the shelter-at-home I needed to watch mindless stuff. That included “Love is Blind” and “The Tiger King”. I’m currently watching “Cobra Kai” and catching up on all “The Big Bang Theory” that I missed in the past. I have also started “100 Humans” for some class based ideas.
What platform are you streaming it on? Most of what I watch are on Netflix, but Big Bang is on HBOMax. 
Review of the movie/series: “Love is Blind” was a freaking train wreck, but I couldn’t stop. Well, the same goes for “The Tiger King”. It was what I needed to step away from reality for a bit. Plus, I needed to know who was Carol Baskin of the memes. “Cobra Kai” is great because I’m a kid of the 80s. “Big Bang” is a funny, comfortable show, and 100 Humans can be related to class.

Adviser’s note: Daniel is the bully in “Cobra Kai” and Johnny is the good guy.

Name: Dana Sneed
Position at college: Endowment Projects Coordinator
What are you streaming? “The Office”
Review of the movie/series: “The Office:” is a show that not only makes me laugh but gives me great ideas on how to prank the people in my office. My favorite quote from the show is..
“There’s a lot of beauty in ordinary things. Isn’t that kind of the point?”