By Adam Kolb / Co-Sports Editor

With the COVID-19 pandemic still spreading throughout the United States, and the rest of the world, it’s no surprise that this virus has had a major impact on people these past five months.

One of those people affected is baseball player Austin Callahan, who had his freshman season at Hutchinson Community College cut short because of the coronavirus.

Callahan recalls the day the season was called off, and remembers the emotions that came with it.

“We were on the bus after an away game and heard that our season was on the lookout to get cancelled,” Callahan said. “And that next day we were done. It was very hard to have to leave and say goodbye to 40 of our best friends. And that’s when we truly learned not to take anything for granted.”

Before the cancellation, Callahan played in 16 games for the Blue Dragons and had three home runs and 14 RBIs. 

Although it was a tough situation for Callahan and the rest of the team, there was a light at the end of the tunnel. The Fremont, Nebraska native earned a spot on the Hutchinson Monarchs, a summer collegiate wood-bat team, and had a solid season. 

“I had an extremely fun summer playing back here,” Callahan said. “I was extremely grateful to have that opportunity to play while a lot of other players couldn’t find a team. But the most important part to me was creating new friendships with a lot of summer ball teammates that will last a lifetime.”

Callahan tied the Monarchs’ season-season home run record by smacking nine. The Monarchs also finished in third place at the annual National Baseball Congress World Series, their best finish ever.

One thought on “Summer was time for Callahan to soar

1. Scott Swanson says:

He’s a heck of a ball player and a heck of a person with great character. The best I’ll ever coach.