By Adam Kolb
Co-Sports Editor

The NJCAA has announced an updated plan of action for the upcoming 2020-21 academic year.

Following the Board of Regents’ vote on Monday, a majority of competition will be moved to the spring semester, including basketball, football, volleyball and soccer, which are fall sports competed at Hutchinson Community College.

“Our greatest focus is and always has been providing the best opportunities for our student athletes,” NJCAA President and CEO Christopher Parker said. “Through a unified effort from our Presidential advisory Council, the Board of Regents, and leadership staff, our most recent plan of action provides a path that keeps our student-athletes competing at the highest level with proper safety measures in place. As we move forward as an association, we will continue to provide opportunities for our student-athletes, coaches, and all those involved with the NJCAA to be safe and successful.”

This plan shifts all close contact fall sports to the spring semester. Cross country will be contested as normal in the fall, another sport HutchCC has. Division 3 women’s tennis also is contested in the fall and planned to be competed as normal.

The half marathon championships will remain their originally scheduled dates. All winter sports will start in January, with most of the championships – including the NJCAA Division 1 men’s basketball championship – moved from March to April. This would include men’s and women’s basketball. Spring sports competition remains the same, but with minor adjustments to dates. These sports include baseball, softball, men’s and women’s golf, and track and field. HutchCC has all those sports except for women’s golf

The NJCAA has provided information relating to scrimmage and practice dates and allowances in the fall.

All sports moved to the spring will be allowed to practice and scrimmage during a 60-day window during the fall semester.