By Caleb Spencer / Staff Writer

With many Americans having recently made large changes to their lives, Hutchinson Community College students have had to make another large change – transitioning to online classes. 

With on-campus classes canceled for the rest of the semester, students now use LearningZone to get their class content, which is a big change for students who may not have taken an online college course before now.

Jared Brown, a freshman from Andale, has been experiencing a few issues with the new format.

“The lack of structure really messes with me,” Brown said about adjusting to online classes. “With not going to class, I’ll sometimes forget that I have homework to do for certain classes. It feels like a long weekend, but it really isn’t.”

Homework isn’t the only problem Brown has experienced with online classes either.

“For me, it’s harder to learn the class material online,” Brown said about the actual lecture content provided by the teachers. 

Despite these issues, Brown said he does feel that some benefits do exist with online classes.

“I like being home because I wasn’t able to be home a lot (during the school year),” Brown said about one of the benefits.

“I also appreciate being able to set my own schedule, even if I’m not very good at sticking to it.”

One of the biggest benefits Brown had noticed was a decrease in stress directly related to school.

“It’s weird, but I’ve felt way less stressed lately, but I’m not sure if I should be or not,” Brown said about how he feels about switching to online classes.

While switching from large lecture halls to the comfort of your own bed can make education more difficult, there are many benefits to making the switch.