By: Emily Fehrman / Opinion Page Editor

This week I had a really hard time figuring out what to write about. With the current state of our world, I knew I couldn’t just write my column as if nothing was going on.

So I’m going to write about the struggles I’ve encountered, for those who feel alone, like I do sometimes. As the Wildcats of East High say, “we’re all in this together.”

When talk of the coronavirus started, I wasn’t sure how it would affect my daily life, let alone my mental health.

First, Hutchinson Community College canceled in-person classes, and I thought that would last a few weeks until things got under control. But then they sent everyone in the dorms home, and I knew that meant I wouldn’t see many of my friends for a while.

That’s been one of the hardest parts for me, I finally gathered a group of friends who were good people, and good to me. They became a staple in life if I’m being honest. Such a regular part of my everyday life, just gone. I know they’re just at home and being safe by social distancing, but this all still sucks.

Not to mention just how isolating this has all been. I know that’s the point, but being alone this much isn’t good for anyone. I have two roommates but they both have essential jobs, and therefore, I don’t see them much.

My mental health has been declining at a slow rate, and yet I’ve already thought about chopping my hair to shoulder length (it’s currently so long it touches the top of my jeans) … so maybe it’s going faster than I originally thought.

On top of that, jobs aren’t readily available due to shops closing their doors and firing people, or they aren’t looking to expand their staff right now. All with good reason, but it’s still all just so frustrating.

If everyone would just practice social distancing and self isolating, then this pandemic could be over much sooner than expected. All those kids who still went on spring break trips have made me lose some hope in the generation.

I’m not sure if my mental health will make it to August, if I’m gonna be honest. But it is what it is. Everyone stay safe and stay home as much as possible if you can. And wash your damn hands!