Photo by Nathan Addis/HutchCC Sports Information: Saquan Singleton throwing a no-look pass in the Region 6 tournament game against Cowley

By Bailey Pennycuff / Co-Sports Editor

For the first time in eight years, the Hutchinson Community College men’s basketball team did not advance to the Region 6 Tournament semifinal game.

They faced top-seeded Cowley on Sunday in Dodge City and were able to hold the Tigers off until the last 12 minutes of the game.

The Blue Dragons’ season ended when the nation’s highest-scoring offense defeated them 110-91.

At halftime, Hutch led the Tigers 50-41. However, the Blue Dragon’s shooting percentage dropped by 26.7 percent in the second half. Not only that, Cowley out-rebounded Hutch by 20 in the second half.

Sophomore guard D.J. Mitchell scored 22 points in his final game as a Blue Dragon.

Freshmen guards Clarence King and Jaden Okon had 14 points each and sophomore guard Saquan Singleton finished with 12 points and six assists.

The Blue Dragons finished their season with a 23-9 record with three players earning postseason honors.

Freshman guard Josh Baker earned the Freshman of the Year award while also obtaining a second-team All-Jayhawk West honor. Baker is the fourth Blue Dragon to earn Freshman of the Year since Steve Eck has coached.

Singleton received first-team All-Jayhawk West. Because of this nomination, at least one member of the team has earned first-team the last five seasons in a row. He also led the team in average rebounds per game at 7.2.

Lastly, sophomore guard Tyler Brown achieved an All-Jayhawk West honorable mention. Brown was one of Hutch’s best 3-point shooters, shooting at 36.4 percent.