Photo by Nathan Addis/HutchCC Sports Information: Freshman guard Josh Ursery dunks the basketball during a home game earlier this season at the Sports Arena.

By Adam Kolb / Co-Sports Editor

Saturday night at the Sports Arena, the Hutchinson Community College men’s basketball team fell to Colby 76-63.

At halftime, the Blue Dragons were trailing the Trojans by 18 points and could never recover. This win resulted in the Trojans’ first Jayhawk West championship in program history.

Hutchinson fell to 20-8 overall and 11-8 in the Jayhawk West.

Over the first three-and-half minutes of the game, Colby had 10 of the first 12 points.

Although the Blue Dragons shot 53.3 percent in the first half, they also committed 16 turnovers in the same half.

Freshman guard Clarence King scored a career-high 17 points to lead the Blue Dragons. King added five rebounds, four steals and two assists.

The Trojans out-rebounded Hutch 36-24. Thirty of Colby’s points were due to 26 different Blue Dragon turnovers.

Hutch’s last regular season game will be on Saturday against Seward County at the Sports Arena.

Women’s Basketball – The women’s basketball team faced Colby on Saturday at the Sports Arena, and although it was the lowest-scoring game they have produced all season, they also kept Colby’s offense in check, winning 53-38.

This was the sixth time this season that the Blue Dragons had held their opponent to less than 40 points.

The Blue Dragons earned the win on Pink-Out Night to bump them up to 25-3 overall. They still remain tied in first place in the Jayhawk West with Seward County.

At the end of the first quarter, the Blue Dragons were trailing the Trojans 13-10. However, they decided to crank up their defense a couple of notches to improve the score to 30-15 at halftime.

Sophomore center Brooklyn Betham earned her second-straight and sixth double-double of the season. She had 24 points, 12 rebounds and was 10 of 11 shooting from the field. She also had a career-high three blocked shots.

Men’s Golf – The men’s golf team resumes action on March 9 after a successful fall season. The Blue Dragons remain ranked third in the first Bushnell/Golfweek Coaches Poll of the season.

The Blue Dragons won two tournaments and finished in the top five of four tournaments. 

The team is led by a strong group of sophomores, including the defending conference and regional champion Charlie Crockett.

The Blue Dragons are tied for third in the latest rankings with New Mexico Junior College.

When Hutchinson opens its spring season, they will compete at the Luc Chap Classic in Lubbock, Texas.

Men’s Track and Field – The men’s track and field team traveled to Norman, Oklahoma on Saturday to compete in the UCO Alumni Classic.

Freshman Wyatt Thiel became the 14th national qualifier by blowing away his old season-best clearance in high jump, and reached the NJCAA automatic qualifying standard of 6 feet, 6 3/4 inches to finish fourth.

Hutch now has 13 individuals and one relay team who qualified for the NJCAA Indoor Championships in Lynchburg, Virginia. 

The team will travel to Pittsburg on Friday and Saturday for theilast chance to qualify for the Region 6 Indoor Championships.

Other Blue Dragon highlights from the UCO meet

Sophomore sprinter Jared Scott placed second in the 200 meters with a time of 22.05; Freshman Jovan Jackson was third in the 400 meters in a time of 51.34 seconds; freshman Teagan Flanagan finished third in the Mile run with a time of 4:35.48; and sophomore Guthrie Turner placed fourth in the triple jump at 40 feet, 11 1/2 inches.

Women’s Track and Field – Last Saturday, the women’s track and field team showcased their skills in Norman, Oklahoma at the UCO Alumni Classic. 

Sophomore middle-distance and distance runners Christina Bruce and Sheila Too earned personal records. 

Bruce posted her PR in the 800 meters. She finished seventh place in the event with a time of 2:27.68.

Too finished seventh in the mile with a career-best time of 5:35.72.

Other Blue Dragon highlights from the UCO meet:

Sophomore Katy Commons finished third in the weight throw with a distance of 35 feet, 9 inches; Krystal Paisley played sixth in the long jump at 15-11 ½; Violet Martinez was eighth in the pole vault at 8-7 1/2. 

Softball – Last Sunday, the Hutchinson Community College softball team traveled to Tishomingo, Oklahoma to face Murray State in a doubleheader. 

Sophomore Maryssa Rollin pitched the entire first game and allowed only two hits. She struck out five batters and walked four. Not only that, but she also drove in four runs to help the team defeat Murray State 7-2. 

Rollin and freshman Lexi Williams both went 2 for 4 during the first match-up against the Aggies. 

The Blue Dragons had seven hits, all singles. Sophomores Ashley Wilson and Caitlin Schumacher and freshman Bailey Pennycuff all had RBIs.

In the second game, freshman Sadie Loney took the loss as Murray State won 8-2. She pitched the first three innings of the game, allowed two hits, three runs and one walk, while striking out three. 

Then, freshman Jordan Galliher came in for two innings. She allowed three hits, three runs and three walks.

Freshman Jessika Gomez came in for one inning and allowed two hits and two runs. 

Freshman Natalie Bevan led in hits for Hutch’s seven-hit game going 2 for 3. Sophomore Taylor Ullery and freshman Kylee Dunn both had doubles.

Hutch plays its first home doubleheader Saturday against Iowa Central at Fun Valley. 

Baseball – Freshman Tyler Delong earned a game-two win on the mound while also hitting the game-winning RBI against Labette on Monday.

The Blue Dragons defeated Labette 7-4 in their second game at Pittsburg State.

Delong had seven strikeouts, two walks, and in two of his innings, sent the Cardinals back to defense in only three batters. Additionally, he hit a line drive to center, Labette’s center fielder dove and missed the ball, and Delong scored easily for an inside-the-park homerun. 

Freshman Caden Pouge came pitched the seventh inning for his first career save. 

Freshmen Cade Argo and Cole Cosman had doubles. 

In game one, the Blue Dragons earned a season-high 15 hits to defeat the Cardinals 10-3.

Redshirt freshman Jenner Steele hit his second home run of the season, going 3 for 4 with two runs and two RBIs. Freshman Luke Sartori went 3-5 with a double and two RBIs. 

Freshman Will Thompson earned the win in his first career start. He allowed four hits and three runs, with two strikeouts and two walks. Sophomore Cade Fenton struck out four and allowed one hit and no runs in two innings. Sophomore Hunter Waugh pitched one inning and struck out two batters. 

The Blue Dragons outhit Labette 15-5. 

Hutch will play Friday, Saturday and Sunday at Northeast Texas Community College.