Photo by Bre Rogers/Collegian: HutchCC’s Abby Ogle drives to the basket and scores a layup during the second half of a Jayhawk Conference game against Dodge City.

By Adam Kolb / Co-Sports Editor

The Hutchinson Community College women’s basketball team got a huge victory against the Dodge City on Wednesday night at the Sports Arena. The Blue Dragons picked up their 69th win all time against Dodge City, and it was a dominant game all around for the Blue Dragons, in their 83-50 win.

The Blue Dragons finished the first half with 32 points, but after halftime, the Blue Dragons scored 31 points in the third quarter alone. They were scoring with ease, and the defense played a big part in that.

“We got off to a great start in the second half,” said HutchCC coach John Ontjes. “We created a lot of turnovers, which led to a lot of layups and easy baskets. The biggest difference in the game was how we started that third quarter.”

The defense for the Blue Dragons was relentless in the third quarter, picking up nine steals, including three from freshman guard Tor’e Alford, and two steals from sophomore guards Makayla Vannett, Sasha Francis, and Abby Ogle.

“Defensively, we all stepped up and were ready to play,” Ogle said. “We were making the right passes on offense as well, doing those types of things.”

The Blue Dragons made 12 of 16 shots in the third quarter. It was the sixth time this season they scored at least 30 points in one quarter.

The Blue Dragons improve to 18-2 on the season, 10-1 in the Jayhawk West, and are on a four-game winning streak.

The next game for the Blue Dragons will be on Sunday at Colby, where the team will look to a push the win streak to five.