By Aaron Strain / Web Master

With the latest movie in the “Star Wars” universe coming out over break, Hutchinson Community College students expressed mixed feelings about the direction of the series.

Gage Stolzenburg, McPherson sophomore, said that he is going to review the complete series in episodic order, and then decide if he wants to continue with “Rise of Skywalker.” If he does watch it, it will be on the small screen at home.

“Episode 9,” along with the rest of the sequel trilogy, “looks dumb,” he said. “I prefer the prequels over the newest trilogy.”

When he was younger, the third prequel, “Revenge of the Sith,” was his favorite of the series.

“Since now I’m an adult, I like ‘Return of the Jedi’ more,” Stolzenburg said. “When Luke learns his dad is Darth Vader, that was pretty dope.”

Andrew Holt, Lago Vista, Texas freshman, went along with Stolzenburg

“That’s a messed up reason, but I agree, he said, “I liked (Episode 7) ‘The Force Awakens,’ thinking it could set up something pretty cool, and then ‘The Last Jedi’ happened.”

Zoe McKinnis, Partridge freshman, said, “I like the original ones better … ‘Rogue One’ was good, but I didn’t like the ending, and I don’t even remember what happened.”

Asked if she would watch “Skywalker,” Hutchinson sophomore Leslie Grajeda said, “I mean, sure, but I’m apprehensive because it looks like they want Rey to get with Kylo Ren, a fascist, as a sort of redemption arc.

“(Star Wars) is alright. I like Princess Leia and Rey because I’m like, really gay.”

German freshman Zoë Faoro said she is excited to watch the movie.

“I will definitely go see ‘Episode 9’ to find out the conclusion to the saga I love so much,” she said. “I really enjoyed The Force Awakens and thought the new characters that were introduced had a lot of potential. (However,) I’m not really happy with the direction ‘Episode 8’ took.

“The Star Wars fandom is one of the most divided fandoms out there, (but) at the end of the day, no matter what happens, some Star Wars fans will be disappointed. It’s important to remember that it’s just fictional and nothing to get too upset over.”

“Star Wars: Episode 9, The Rise of Skywalker” premieres December 20. Many movie theaters are already selling tickets.