HutchCC’s Singleton stands out for game, striking resemblance to movie star

By Adam Kolb / Co-Sports Editor

Saquan Singleton has had an amazing start to his sophomore season for the 

Hutchinson Community College men’s basketball team.

Singleton has been averaging 10.6 points per game, 6.4 assists per game, and 8.3 rebounds per game. Not only that, he recorded a triple-double against Northeastern Oklahoma A&M on Nov. 12 at the Sports Arena, where he put up 14 points, 11 assists, and 13 rebounds. That wasn’t the only good game Singleton had, as he put up a double-double in the Blue Dragon’s win over Murray State College, scoring 16 points, and grabbing 11 rebounds. Singleton’s versatility is one reason why he is playing so well this season, and why he was just named the KJCCC Player of the Week on Tuesday.

“We have him guard the power forward or the point guard,” Blue Dragons coach Steve Eck said. “On offense, he can play inside and outside. It’s nice to have that.”

While Singleton himself is having a great year, all of his goals are for the team, rather than individual glory.

This shows that his unselfishness is benefitting the team as well.

“I really like passing more,” Singleton said, and this is evident in his 6.4 assists per game. 

Singleton is making his name on the basketball court, but students around campus are attributing Singleton with another name, completely unrelated to basketball.

When asked about his striking resemblance to Academy Award-winning actor Denzel Washington, Singleton couldn’t help but smile.

“It’s funny,” he said. “The Blue Dragon Twitter account posted it (and that’s how it started)”.