By Emily Branson / Staff writer

Being a part of a play is something that means a lot to many students. It helps their creative abilities, allows bonds to form, and also allows them to feel like they are a part of something bigger than themselves.

When it is all over with and the curtain drops, the audience is left with emotions and the students feel ecstatic that their work is paying off. 

This weekend, Hutchinson Community College Theatre will be putting on a production of Shakespeare’s Midsummer Night’s Dream.

Deidre Mattox, director and sound designer for the play, first fell in love with Midsummer Night’s Dream when she was in college 29 years ago.

“I acted in a (Kansas State University) production of Midsummer,” Mattox said. “I remember that experience fondly and wanted to share my love of the play with my students.”

This play shows a couple on the way to the altar, but are being faced with a handful of hardships.

“Like most, if not all of Shakespeare’s comedies,” Mattox said. “Midsummer is about courtship, love, marriage, and the myriad obstacles a couple might face. These obstacles include both outside forces, like meddling parents and social constraints, and inner struggles like unrealistic expectations of perfect love and reluctance to choose and commit.”

With Mattox’s passion for the play and the students’ hard work, they have been rehearsing for eight weeks, five days a week, for three hours each night.

The production is made up of 22 students, three of which are student designers.

“Dafne Oliva, who plays Helena, is also our Makeup Designer; Alex Miller, our Stage Manager, is also our Lighting Designer; and Roni Ratzloff, who plays Hermia, is also our Costume Designer,” Mattox said.

Overall, creating a play that is cohesive and can grab the audience’s attention is much more than just performing on a stage. There is so much more that goes on behind the scenes. This can range from designing each costume to managing the stage and order of events. This gives the play a professional tone, which helps keep the audience engaged. 

Locations, times, and dates: 

A Midsummer Night’s Dream – Theatre                                            

Time: 7:30 PM – 9:30 PM

Location: Stringer Fine Arts Center

Thursday, November 21

A Midsummer Night’s Dream – Theatre

Time: 7:30 PM – 9:30 PM

Location: Stringer Fine Arts Center

Friday, November 22

A Midsummer Night’s Dream – Theatre

Time: 7:30 PM – 9:30 PM

Location: Stringer Fine Arts Center

Saturday, November 23