By Bailey Young / Online Editor

All right here’s the situation on vaccinations, from my point of view.

I am a 19-year-old woman. I pay some of my bills. I pay for my tuition. I commute to and from Hutchinson Community College Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I work a part-time job, and I help many people with many different things. 

The point I’m trying to make is that I am responsible for myself. With that being said, any person over the age of 18, responsible for themselves or not, has the opportunity to decide whether or not they receive a flu shot annually. 

I am not anti-vaccination at all. I think infants and children up until age 18 need shots to protect against diseases like measles, polio, and chickenpox, but something as insignificant as the flu shot, should not be a big deal, in my opinion.

Since I’ve been legal, I have chosen not to receive the flu shot (and I haven’t gotten the flu) and can provide you with two reasons for that. 

1. In my family, at least, two of my family members have previously gotten the flu shot and have not reacted well to it. One person gets sick after receiving the live virus transmitted by shot, and the other person (who I take after) gets the flu every year he gets the flu shot, but typically doesn’t when he hasn’t gotten the flu shot. 
  2. The flu shot is not 100% effective. It is not a 100% guarantee that you will not get the flu if you get the shot, and there’s not a 100% guarantee that you will get the flu if you don’t receive the shot.

These are just some things that I’ve observed. For myself, and my immune system, I have chosen not to get the flu shot. However, I can see how people in different situations could need the flu shot. Emily Branson, Hutchinson Collegian staff writer, says she needs the shot because she has young siblings with weak immune systems. 

Until I get the flu from not getting the flu shot, I will probably choose not to get a flu shot until I absolutely need it. I would also like to say that if and when I do get the flu, I’ll eat my words. It could very easily happen, because like I said, neither situation is 100% effective. That’s just my opinion on the matter. I think everyone should decide for themselves whether or not to get the flu shot.