By Adam Kolb / Co-Sports Editor

The Hutchinson Community College women’s soccer team posted its second largest margin of victory, and scored the second most goals in program history on Saturday in a 19-0 Jayhawk West victory over Hesston at the Salthawk Sports Complex.

Eight different players scored goals and five players had assists. Freshman Samantha Vaughn became the sixth player in program history to score six goals in a game, Esther Karhayu followed with four goals, and Marah Franke was the third Blue Dragon with a hat trick. This was the first time that three players scored hat tricks in a game since Oct. 18, 2016.

Saturday’s onslaught was the first time the Blue Dragons have scored at least 15 goals in a game since scoring a school-record 23 against Pratt on Oct. 18, 2016. Hutchinson’s 46 points against the Larks are the fourth most in single game program history. The Blue Dragons led 8-0 at halftime and scored 11 goals in the second half. That was the sixth time in team history to score 10 or more goals in a half.

The Blue Dragons out shot Hesston 46-1 and the Larks recorded no shots on goal.

Football – Head coach Rion Rhoades earned his 100th all time coaching victory against Fort Scott on Saturday night at Frary Field. Rhoades became the fourth coach in Jayhawk Conference football history to reach 100 wins. He reaches the milestone victory in his 155th game. The first seven wins came with Fort Scott. The other 93 have come with the Blue Dragons.

The Blue Dragons got the victory against Fort Scott, 27-7. The Blue Dragons picked up their second straight victory over a nationally-ranked opponent. The Blue Dragons improve to 2-0 in the Jayhawk Conference while sending Fort Scott its first loss of the season. The Greyhounds are 2-1.

Defense and special teams made a difference Saturday. The Blue Dragons held Fort Scott to 99 rushing yards and 174 total yards on 62 plays. The defense also held the Greyhounds to 0 of 14 on third down and 0 for 1 on fourth-down conversions. The Hutchinson defense racked up eight sacks, and defensive tackle Latrell Bankston had a career-high four sacks.

For the second straight week, the Blue Dragons had a special-teams touchdown. Punt returner Mitchell Tinsley took it 44 yards down the left sideline and gave the Blue Dragons a 17-7 lead. Last week, Tiyon Evans earned KJCCC and NCAA Special Teams of the week honors with his 95-yard kickoff return for a touchdown.

Offensively, the Blue Dragons amassed 311 yards on 82 plays scrimmage. The Blue Dragons rushed for 184 yards led by Kendall Cross, who had 78 yards on 16 carries. Quarterback Mark Wright was 13 of 24 passing for 116 yards. Hutch had a 20-7 lead at halftime and scored the only points in the second half.

Volleyball – The volleyball team opened a stretch of 12 matches in 14 days with a tough five-set loss to Barton on Monday night at the Sports Arena. The Blue Dragons won the first set, but the Cougars rallied back for a 23-25, 25-23, 26-24, 19-25, 15-6 Jayhawk West victory.

Blue Dragon freshman Katelyn Elstun got off to a fast start with six kills in the opening set victory. Elstun had six kills over the final four sets and finished with a team high 12 kills on 30 swings. Freshman middle Myracle Lettries had a solid match with eight kills and six blocks. Camila Espejo had seven kills, while Jenna Thorne had seven kills and four blocks.

Sophomore setter Eboni Sapien had 22 assists and two ace serves. Freshman setter Laney Robertson had 20 assists and a pair of aces. Alissa Bautista finished with a season high 24 digs, while defensive specialist Lauren Wilson had a season high 14 digs.

Golf – The Blue Dragons were consistent in windy conditions at the Ryan Palmer Foundation Classic in Amarillo, Texas. The Blue Dragons had a tournament-low round of 284. Freshman Tyler Trudo shot a 2-under 69 to lead the Blue Dragons in the final round. Sophomore Nathan McCulloch carded a 1-under 70. The Blue Dragons also counted sophomore Charlie Crockett’s 1-over 72 and a 2-over 73 by freshman Trey McCrae. Sophomore Peyton Austin finished with a final round 74.

Crockett was the low Blue Dragon for the tournament. Coming into the final round at 4-under, Crockett’s 72 on Tuesday gave him a 54-hole total of 210 and finished tied for seventh. Trudo finished tied for ninth at 211.

The Blue Dragons next compete at the Missouri Southern invitational on September 22-23 in Monkey Island, Oklahoma.