By Jared Shuff/Campus Editor

Classes have been going on for a little while now, so I feel like it’s time to truly let go of summer. It was great while it lasted, but all good things must come to an end. Now students are walking to class with their headphones in, drowning out their sorrows.

In honor of the death of summer vacation, I’ve picked out some of the songs I listened to most over the break. Think of this as a funeral playlist in memoriam of the only free time I’m going to have for the next nine months.

Bluffin’ by Khalid

Released not long before summer started, Khalid’s sophomore album “Free Spirit” took over the charts, as well as my driving playlist. Every song was perfect for driving around town with the windows down, just living in the moment. 

Out of all the songs on the album, “Bluffin’” has to be my favorite. The mellow melody mixed with his amazing vocals epitomized what a relaxed summer day should feel like. 

Typical Story by Hobo Johnson

If you’ve listened to Hobo Johnson before, you’d probably agree that his music doesn’t fit into any sort of category. He’s an odd guy. The release of his single “Typical Story” brought a more aggressive tone to his music. Everybody needs a good song to be angry with.

“Typical Story” is a nice cocktail of existential dread, angst, and bitterness towards the universe, all wrapped up in a blanket of ear-shattering distortion. Perfect for when you feel like screaming at the world for only giving you three months of summer if even that much.

Truth Hurts by Lizzo

If you haven’t heard “Truth Hurts” by Lizzo, you’ve been living under a rock. Even though it was released in 2017, this anthem rocked the world this summer and introduced a lot of people to a musical sensation. 

An artist that’s been releasing music under the radar for years, Lizzo is now one of the biggest names in music. I could make a whole list of Lizzo songs that took over the Summer playlists. She is, in fact, “100% that b**ch.”

Making My Bed by The True Blue

What would any summer playlist be without a nice, depressing piano ballad? When that summertime sadness hits and you realize how alone are, it’s nice to have a song you can cry to while trying to figure out where your life went wrong.

Not a well-known band by any means, I highly recommend giving them some recognition. Not all of their songs are heartbreaking, many of them are upbeat and fun. Those sad songs just hit different though.

IF YOU PRAY RIGHT by BROCKHAMPTON

Did this song come out barely a month ago? Yes. That doesn’t matter though because it is amazing and I blasted it for the entirety of August. BROCKHAMPTON is a rap collective that was formed in San Marcos, Texas and has been active since 2015.

“IF YOU PRAY RIGHT” was the second single released in promotion of their album “GINGER” that was released on August 23rd. Please give it a listen, you won’t regret it.

There are so many more songs I could put on this list, but these five are the ones I know I’m going to be listening to far into the semester. Think of them as memories from a better time. I know I will.