By: Shea Hubbs

E-cigarettes are devices that operate by heating a liquid solution to a high enough temperature so that it produces an aerosol that is inhaled.

Solutions typically include nicotine, flavoring and a humectant, such as propylene glycol, to retain moisture and create an aerosol when heated.

While using an e-cigarette is often called “vaping,” the devices produce an aerosol, not a vapor. Unlike vapor, which is simply a substance in gas form, the aerosol from an e-cigarette can contain tiny chemical particles from both the liquid solution and the device (e.g., metals from the heating coil).

JUUL, e-cigarettes claim the product has a nicotine content like traditional cigarettes, and that it delivers the nicotine up to 2.7 times faster than other e-cigarettes. While that may make them more attractive to smokers as an alternative to cigarettes, it increases the potential for youth addiction and suggests such products should be carefully regulated to reduce youth access and use.

Truth Initiative study found that among current youth, JUUL users, only 37 percent knew that the product always contains nicotine.

Between 2011 and 2017, e-cigarette use significantly increased among youth in high school and middle school.

The 2017 National Youth Tobacco Survey found that 11.7 percent of high school students and 3.3 percent of middle school students used e-cigarettes in the last 30 days.

Using e-cigarettes has been shown to increase the likelihood of smoking cigarettes meaning this could lead to more nicotine products that may be used in more dangerous nicotine products.

Many young e-cigarette users do not know what is in the products they are using.

A recent study found that 98.7 percent of all e-cigarette products sold at convenience stores, supermarkets and similar outlets contain nicotine. Yet, many young people aren’t aware that the products they use contain nicotine.

In fact, 60 percent of teens incorrectly reported e-cigarettes as being comprised of mostly flavoring.

Since e-cigarettes are still fairly new, the last effects of them aren’t widely known.

Juul owns about 70 percent of the e-cigarette market

At least 60 chemical compounds have been found in e-liquids, and more are present in the aerosol produced by e-cigarettes.