Denise Keirnan, courtesy photo

By Tabitha Barr
Opinion Page Editor

Writing vividly is a hard task to accomplish in world that likes simple tastes. But Denise Kiernan knows how to attract readers with her compelling words and interesting fiction and non-fiction stories.

For more than 20 years, Kiernan has been writing stories and publishing them out in the world. And she plans to keep writing whatever sparks her passion.

Kiernan, who on Tuesday will be in Hutchinson for the second Dillon Lecture Series of 2019, took her education through New York University and graduated with a B.A. in 1991. She then went back in 2002 to receive her M.A. The items she studied while taking her master’s centered on culture and human development. This focus led her to writing more realistic stories that had true backstories.

One of her most popular stories uses this technique as the story based on true events unfolds page after page. “The Girls of Atomic City – The Untold Story of the Women Who Helped Win World War II” follows the true story of women who had no idea that they were a part of the development for the first atomic bomb.

It’s a book that follows the lives of those who worked without question, but also about smart and independent women that worked their way up the ladder to prove women were just as strong as men. This book written in 2013 is a five-time bestseller and prompted Kiernan’s career to skyrocket.

Even before “The Girls of Atomic City”, she was succeeding in writing stories through different news outlets such as The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Ms. Magazine, Village Voice, Discover, Reader’s Digest and more. Plus, she has written for ABC’s “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire”, and produced for television networks ESPN and MSNBC. She is verse in many areas in the world of media and knows her way around the business.

Not only has she written and published stories for herself, but she is also a ghostwriter for many important social stars, including those who are famous in athletics, social media and film. She is known in the journalism world and continues to make her name known by continuing to write and speaking around the nation about her journey.

Kiernan has won many awards based on her journalistic skills and empowering stories. She currently travels around the nation to speak about her books that changed the way people view an important historical event.

What: Dillon Lecture Series

Who: Author, Denise Kiernan

Why: To speak about her bestselling book “The Girls of Atomic City”

When: March 5, 2019 at 10:30 a.m.

Where: Sports Arena