By Amanda Carney
Co-Sports Editor

The Hutchinson Community College women’s basketball team battled back from a 14-point deficit to force overtime, but the Seward County Saints scored the first five points of overtime and the Blue Dragons couldn’t recover again.

No. 2 Seward County repeated as Jayhawk West champion on Sunday in Liberal with a 77-69 victory over No. 6 Hutchinson at The Green House. The Blue Dragons fall to 28-2 overall and 19-2 in the Jayhawk West.

The Blue Dragons finish second in the Jayhawk West.

The Blue Dragons were 28-of-68 shooting, hitting 7-of-20 from 3-point range and 6-of-14 from the foul line. Dejanae Roebuck posted her eighth double-double of the season with 18 points and 10 rebounds. Mikayla Vannett hit 4-of-8 3-pointers and finished as the only other Blue Dragon in double figures with 14 points.

Men’s Basketball – For the second time this season, the HutchCC men’s basketball team had a slow start against the Seward County Saints. The No. 13-ranked Saints prevailed and earned its first season sweep of HutchCC since 2014 with a 94-75 win.

The Blue Dragons fall to 23-7 overall and finished tied with Barton for second in the Jayhawk West 14-7. The Blue Dragons will be the second seed from the Jayhawk West for the Region 6 Tournament.

Just six minutes into the game, Seward County led 18-2.

Saequon Singleton and Malique Jacobs had 12 points each to lead the Blue Dragons. James Rojas finished with 10 points. Rheaquone Taylor and Josh Perkins each added eight points. The Blue Dragons were 29-of-64 from the field and were held to a season low one 3-point goal on 11 attempts.

HutchCC was 16-of-25 from the free-throw line. The Blue Dragons did hold a 42-38 rebounding advantage but had 17 turnovers.

Baseball – With two potential straight weeks off, the Hutchinson Community College baseball team picked up a pair of games at a neutral site with a turf field. The Blue Dragons will play Jayhawk East opponent Labette in a double-header at Pittsburg State University’s Oroloni Field at noon on Tuesday

On Saturday, the Jayhawk Conference announced that the opening round of conference games set for the this weekend will be moved to the final week of the season because of the continual winter weather. HutchCC will now play Cloud County on May 2 and May 4, and the opening round of Region 6 Tournament is pushed back on week. The next scheduled games for HutchCC will be the new Jayhawk West opener at Butler on March 7 in El Dorado.

Softball – The Hutchinson Community College softball team showed plenty of resiliency in the renewal of a suspended game at Northern Oklahoma-Enid on Monday afternoon.

The Blue Dragons scored two runs while down their final strike in the top of the seventh, but the Jets walked off for a 16-15 victory at the NOC-Enid softball field. The game was suspended on Feb. 5 after 3 1/2 innings because of darkness.

Down 15-12 after five innings, AJ Briones singled with one out in the sixth to pull within two runs. Then in the seventh, Cassidy Prucha – who doubled in her previous at-bat – singled and went to third on Shelby Felvus’ hit. Alexis Way had an RBI single and then Jamison singled home Felvus with the tying run to make it 15-all.

The Blue Dragons outhit NOC-Enid 23-13. The 23 hits ties for the third-most in team single-game history. The Blue Dragons couldn’t overtime five errors that led to seven unearned runs.

Megan Davis (1-1) took the loss. She worked 5 1/3 innings and allowed seven hits, eight runs, five were earned with two strikeouts and two walks.