By Amanda Carney
Co-Sports Editor

Hutchinson Community College men’s basketball coach Steve Eck, center, celebrates the Blue Dragons’ 2017 national championship with Papi Conley, left, and Samajae Haynes-Jones.

Hutchinson Community College men’s basketball coach Steve Eck reached yet another accomplishment in his career.

The NJCAA announced on Jan. 14 that Eck will be entered into NJCAA Basketball Coaches Association Hall of Fame.

Eck has been head coach at HutchCC since 2009. Eck has led the Blue Dragons to two Jayhawk Conference titles, two Region 6 championships and the 2017 NJCAA national championship.

However, Eck won’t take much of the credit.

“I’ve had good assistant coaches, you can’t do it without them, I’ve had good players, I’ve had good administration and I’ve had a great support system.”

But the reality of entering into the NJCAA Basketball Coaches Association Hall of Fame still hasn’t been much of a thought for Eck.

“It really hasn’t hit me yet maybe it’ll hit me when I retire,” Eck said.

Here’s what some former players, personnel and current HutchCC administrators had to say about Eck being entered into NJCAA Basketball Coaches Association Hall of Fame.

“Too many great things to say about Coach Eck. It only makes sense to add one more patch to his letterman of coaching. I am very blessed to say that I played for (a) HOF coach. He brought the best out of us, helped bring us together as a group and most importantly taught us how to win.” – AJ Spencer, Blue Dragon forward, 2010-2012

“Coach Eck’s love for the game of basketball and his players is profound and I believe it’s a direct correlation to the success he’s had throughout his prestigious career. It was an honor to play for him.” – Dylan Frantz, 2009-2011, and first player Eck signed at Hutchinson.

“In my opinion, Steve Eck has done more for basketball in the state of Kansas than anyone. The way he molds kids into young men and also the longevity of his career and how he can still motivate today’s athlete totally intrigues me and tells me just how good of a coach he truly is. Hutch is so lucky he decided to hopefully finish his career as our coach.”  – Scott Stiles, Fox Sports Radio/KGSO, HutchCC quarterback 1984-1985, and former Blue Dragon football and basketball public address announcer. 

“To me personally, it means that we have one of the all-time great basketball head coaches leading our Men’s Basketball program.  It confirms what we have known and that is that coach Eck has done a great job a leading young men year end and year out.  This award speaks to the consistency of winning programs that coach Eck produces. This honor is well deserved and is a credit to the many fine student athletes and assistant coaches that have helped coach have so much success.” – HutchCC Athletic Director Josh Gooch 

Break box

Steve Eck’s junior college coaching record

Butler, three seasons         60-22

Redlands, six seasons         182-22

Cowley, two seasons         60-8

Hutchinson, 10 seasons  276-56*

Overall   598-106*

* – As of Jan. 20

Eck has won national championships at Redlands and Hutchinson.